One in 50 students will be a victim of robbery, burglary or violent and sexual crime

You are twice as likely to be a victim of sexual and violent crime than a victim of robbery or burglary

One in 50 students at the University of Sheffield will be a victim of burglary, robbery or violent and sexual crime, according to new statistics.

The Complete University Guide took the number of crimes reported from July 2015 to June 2016 per one thousand residents within student areas. These crimes include burglary, robbery and violence and sexual offences.

They found the University of Sheffield had a total score of 2.4 per cent for all crimes reported. 1.4 per cent of people are likely to be a victim of violence and sexual offences, while burglary and robbery rates are at 0.2 per cent.

Sheffield students are one per cent less likely to be a victim of a sexual or violent crime than Sheffield Hallam students. In 2014 three teens were jailed for robbery in the Crookes area.

These statistics are based on all residents and not just students, the results are taken within wards or electoral divisions weighted by student population.