Our definitive guide to Sheffield freshers events

Your liver and wallet won’t be thanking us

Once again, the epitome of the university experience that is freshers has come around.

As with all things in life, there is both good and bad news; the bad news is that your bank account and liver may take a considerable hit. The good news: we’ve organised a list of events and venues for the former to take place.

There’s truly something for everyone – whether you like live music, garage, grime, house or even dressing up as a llama.

Saturday 17th

Pop Tarts: Ain’t No Party Like A Poptarts Party  – Foundry, Studio and Fusion

Sheffield’s best loved SU night is back for another year of shameless extra mature cheddar cheesy music; expect to hear everything from Britney to ABBA to Blue.

Britney music = bonding opportunities

Sunday 18th

Havana Great Time – Revolutión de Cuba 

Get your fiesta on in this Cuban gem on Mappin Street. Specializing in tacos and cocktails (what more could a meager fresher want?), Revolutión ramps up the volume with 2-4-1 cocktails and tapas all day long, with live music from Elliott Hollins from 5pm.

Comedy Keller – Bierkeller

Bierkeller’s notorious monthly comedy nights continue – this time featuring Bobby Mair (fairly hairy – been on 8 Out of 10 Cats, Russell Howard’s Big News and more) plus four other comedians. Doors open from 4pm with the show commencing at 8pm – perfectly accompanied by Bierkeller’s famous Steins, holding two pints of beer or a gigantic cocktail.

Ever wanted a cocktail bigger than your head?

Freshers UV Paint Party – The Leadmill

Get messy at the Leadmill (in more ways than one) with tonnes of UV neon paint and get acquainted with one of the best venues in Sheffield for indie and rock music. We recommend getting a cheap white tee to show off your newly-painted self.

white t-shirt crew

Full Moon Beach Party – Foundry, Studio and Fusion

The perfect opportunity for freshers to get familiar with Sheffield’s SU nightlife, with a promise of UV body painting and bucket cocktails. Just prepare yourself for those who discovered themselves on a beach in Thailand on their gap yah to bore you to death talking about the genuine full moon party they went to.

Monday 19th

F*CK ME IT’S FRESHERS – Plug

Arguably the biggest freshers night out, F*CK ME tours the country every year. Unleash your inner child with a bouncy castle, massive ball pit and confetti canons. Relish the cheapness of student deals with £1 drinks at Plug.

Freshers Frat Party – Foundry, Studio and Fusion

Pretend you’re an extra in Bad Neighbours with the SU’s red cup frat party, complete with free popcorn for those drunk food cravings.

SuperFresh – Walkabout 

Have  a batman costume stored away since leavers? Brush the dust off your cape and get thoroughly super-heroed up at Walkabout’s aptly named “SuperFresh” event. Costumes are guaranteed to make you friends in freshers, especially if you end up going to a completely different event. With different deals springing up on each bar over Walkabout nights, it’s a guaranteed good night.

costumes = good times

Tuesday 20th 

Tuesday Club: Redlight, Lil Silva, Monki and more – Fusion, Studio and Foundry

Tuesday Club never fails to impress and this year’s opening night has smashed the lineup. TTC veterans will be flocking to the SU, thrilled to be home, meanwhile freshers won’t know what’s hit them. Just throw on your wavy garms and dance the night away.

Throwing Shade – The Harley

This independent bar does a lot more than just burgers (those delicious, heavenly burgers) but are also home to incredible live music! Enjoy a free DJ set from eclectic ‘Throwing Shade’ in a cosy and intimate venue.

Bootleg Tuesdays Freshers Party – Tank 

If you’re a fan of garage, bass and bootlegs, Tank Tuesdays is your calling. As always, Tank have ramped it up for fresher’s week with cheap drinks and entry, plus a somewhat ambiguously titled ‘Underground Hype VS Underground Vibes’ theme…

Welcome To Sheffield – Corporation

Time to get familiar with the famous, curious haunt that is Corp. As always, cheap drinks and a range of different music rooms lay the foundations of a stellar Sheffield night out.

Wednesday 21st 

Freshers Skool Disco – Corporation

On Wednesdays, we wear shirts. That’s right, Corp Wednesdays are back and if you’re lucky enough to have bagged a ticket, expect what will undoubtedly be a very messy night. If you manage to escape without blue pint over your shirt, you’ve been doing something wrong.

ROAR Freshers Animal Party – Foundry, Studio and Fusion

Another big name of Sheffield nightlife, ROAR is typically home to sports team socials throughout the year. If dressing up is your thing, grab this opportunity to live life as an animal for the night.

Freshers Warehouse Rave – Cheese on Bread at Yellow Arch Studios

Calling all fans of grime, bass and garage music. Cheese on Bread present their self-acclaimed ‘dirty riddums’ freshers event, made all the better for being free! Tickets are still required, so grab yours online before the event.

Thursday 22nd

Lost City Thursdays – Carver Street

On Thursdays, Carver Street transforms into “Lost City”, a land where one ticket secures you entry to six clubs and seven music policies. There’s something for everyone, and we aren’t complaining about £1 drinks all night either.

Skool Disco Detention – Corporation

Missed out on Corp Wednesday tickets? Fear not, your prayers have been answered with the treat of TWO skool discos in one week! Same club night, same music, different day.

North vs South vs Midlands Bar Crawl – West Street

Another big night out every year, this bar crawl is sure not to disappoint. If you’re keen to explore West Street, rest safe in the knowledge that in just one night you can tick off The Cavendish, Players, Hudsons, West Street Live, Tiger Works, Soyo and Maida Vale in one (if slightly inebriated) hit. And if you’re still standing and ready for more, the night finishes off in CODE.

There’s basically no Midlanders

Friday 23rd

Fully Garage by Cheese on Bread – Fear x Loathing

Independent restaurant Fear x Loathing transforms from a burger bar to full-on music venue for another ‘Cheese on Bread’ production, again featuring the best of garage and house music. If your wallet is feeling a little light by Friday, rest easy knowing that this event is completely free to get into, as long as you secure your tickets online.

Muzik Ibiza Sessions ft. Oliver Lang – CODE

House every weekend? Your wish has been granted. Freshers week will see the launch of ‘Muzik Ibiza’ as a weekly event every Friday at CODE. Featuring a live performance from Oliver Lang, consider this event your new home for house music.

Freshers Takeover with Greg James – Foundry, Studio and Fusion

Whilst freshers may not understand our cynicism towards the promise of Greg James at the SU, this event is set to change that. Soak up the end of freshers with a night of bangers from everyone’s favorite Radio 1 DJ.

CODE or Ibiza? Ibiza or CODE?

Steve Lamacq – Barker’s Pool

Explore Sheffield’s live music scene by seeing acclaimed “Indie legend” Steve Lamacq; taking to the stage with new one-man show “Going Deaf For a Living”. What’s more, if you’re a fan of indie music then stay at Barker’s Pool for Fuzz Club, Sheffield’s legendary indie night.

Saturday 24th

If you’ve made it this far and you’re still ready for more, hats off to you. You are stainless steel Fresher.

NLR’s Return to the Moor with Detroit Swindle – The Moor Theatre Delicatessen (The Abandoned Woolworths)

NLR are collaborating with arts charity Theatre Delicatessen at the Moor to bring you another art inundated musical musing. They’re hosting Detroit Swindle in room one with a light up dancefloor, and Cosmic Disco are in residence in the second room featuring a walk in disco ball (we’re not sure what this is either). This night promises to be a disco-fuelled fiesta.

Freshers Roller Disco – Skate Park

This Olympic-sized roller rink is set to be full of students, DJs and drink deals. Although it may prove a challenging combination (particularly for those who struggle to balance on wheels… whilst dancing … after a few drinks) you’re sure to make some memories, amidst possible bruises.

Hope Works presents Floating Points – Hopeworks secret warehouse location

Securing this as the coolest event of freshers, the location of Hope Work’s event will be revealed on the night – all we know is it’s a warehouse rave. Plus, you’ll never have a bad night in the secure arms of Floating Points, the one of a kind DJ bringing you a funky set.

Pop Tarts – Foundry, Studio and Fusion

Back for it’s second stint, Pop Tarts offers its consistent blend of corny music and cheap booze. A classic combination for some questionable dance moves.

They even have their own filter