New bar set to replace Varsity on West Street after Lola Lo’s pulls out

It will open just in time for Freshers

After many months of doubt over the opening of Lola Lo’s, West Street is now set to welcome new late-night bar, Bar & Beyond.

The bar, which will also serve burgers and hot dogs from 5pm, hopes to turn around the fortunes of the old Varsity premises with an £850,000 renovation and a state of the art sound system.

Launching just in time for Freshers’ Week, the bar will open its doors to Sheffield punters on Friday 16 September.

While Lola Lo’s was reported to be taking over the West Street site last year, plans for the opening of the tropical tiki chain never really gained momentum.

Sheffield will become Bar & Beyond’s third student bar in the U.K, alongside Stevenage and Chelmsford.

The bar’s general manager, Sheffielder David Burgess, is confident that the launch will be a success in the city:  “I’m really excited to be bringing Bar & Beyond to my home town.

“It’s a unique concept that gives customers the choice between a fun evening with food and a wide choice of drinks, or to stay out and party the night away.

“There’s nothing like it in Sheffield and I’m confident it will be a massive hit.”

Offering a variety of different burgers and an impressive menu of refreshing cocktails, the bar will be hoping to steal competition from West Street’s existing student haunts.

Third year History student, Amy Digman is pleased that the vacant site will now become another place for a night out: “I’m going into my third year and Lola Lo’s has been ‘coming soon’ since I first arrived in Sheffield.

“It’s good that the space won’t be permanently boarded up, and I can never say no to a burger or a cocktail.”

The club is currently recruiting for a number of roles, including bar work and hosts.

The bar’s manager added: “We’re looking for talented people with a passion for customer service.

“Bar & Beyond is all about creating a fantastic night out and we want to build a team that does just that.”

CV’s can be sent to [email protected]