Sheffield University takes 41st place in Guardian League Tables

It’s up one place from last year

The University of Sheffield scored higher than King’s College London, Royal Holloway and Queen’s College in Belfast having been rated 64.8 per cent by the Guardian League Tables this year, meaning we’ve been ranked just outside the top 40 unis in the country.

Sheffield Hallam, however, dropped 12 places from last year, being ranked 86th out of a possible 119 places, being given a score of 53.1 per cent.

The table is compiled by The Guardian each year, using results from the annual National Student Survey. It takes into account satisfaction with teaching, the course, spend per student, entry requirements and student/staff ratio.

The top three places in the league table were awarded to Cambridge, Oxford and St. Andrew’s respectively.

The Guardian found that 90.4 per cent of students from Sheffield University were happy with their chosen course, meaning our students are more satisfied than those at St Andrew’s and Queen’s, Belfast.

They also found that 90.4 per cent were satisfied with the standard of teaching at the university, Sheffield being ranked higher than Newcastle and Manchester in this category.

75.7 per cent of graduates from Sheffield University had a career after six months, compared to just 61.8 per cent of Hallam graduates.

Sheffield University was ranked 3rd for Civil Engineering, and achieved places in the top 10 for nursing and midwifery, forensic science, journalism and material and mineral engineering.

Hallam achieved 9th place in the country for material and mineral engineering.

Loughborough is the University making the headlines today though, having jumped 7 places up from last year, being ranked 4th out of the universities in the country, with 90% going into professional or managerial roles once they graduate, something they thank paid student placements for.