The Uni are giving away £1000 for the best business idea

You could win some big summer spending money

The University has set up a business-pitching competition for the third time, with the prize ballooning from £100 to a whopping £1,000 for this year.

The competition, titled ‘Evolve’, is taking place on the 21st April 5-7pm in Bar One, as well as the 22nd April 8pm at The Edge Bar.

The competition is ludicrously simply, bearing in mind you can win a grand. Evolve has asked people to pitch their ingenious business idea to the public and to the judges. It could be anything from wacky and imaginative to bold and revolutionary, they just want to hear something new. The five best pitches from each venue will then proceed to compete against each other, and pitch in front of an expert judging panel for the prize grand.

Win big at The Edge Bar

The competition is run by University of Sheffield Enterprise, who offer support and mentoring for students looking to develop their enterprise skills. Previous to now, the event had run twice at the Edge Bar with cash prizes of £100 for the best pitch of the night. The success of these has led ‘Evolve’ to up the stakes.

It doesn’t have to be too serious, as demonstrated by previous winners include the inventor of ‘Dog Tinder’, and the ‘Friendship Party Bus’. What’s more, every entrant is entitled to a free drink and each person who makes it to the top 10 will win a £25 Amazon gift voucher.

Joe, a first year who won with his idea of ‘Dog Tinder’ (allowing families to get in contact with dog owners) said: “It was laid back so gave people confidence to pitch their ideas, which was really good”.

For your chance to be in with a shot of £1000, start brainstorming and head down to Bar One or The Edge Bar. Good luck!