Richard Roberts’ protesters to be evicted from building

42 lecturers expressed their support for the group

Free University of Sheffield protestors are to be evicted from Richard Roberts’ building following a court hearing yesterday. 

They will not only be evicted, but prevented from conducting similar occupations in other uni buildings in the future.

Judge Graham Robinson said that whilst the protestors have a “free and democratic right” to express their views, the uni is the owner of the building and its purpose was not intended for such occupations.

He also expressed concern about the “unsatisfactory way” the group, who are protesting against tuition fees, were given notice of the legal action.

Earlier in the week, the occupation received a morale boost in the form of some new supporters: a group of more than forty university academics. In a letter to the Independent newspaper, the 42 lecturers and academic staff described their sympathy for the protesting students’ cause, and suggested that the students had been harshly treated by the University.

After receiving support from the man himself, Nobel prize-winning biochemist Sir Richard Roberts, the signees of the letter alluded to their shared goals with the protesting students:

“Like Sir Richard Roberts we, too, believe the goals of The Free University of Sheffield are laudable, and should be supported.”

the protesters are showing no signs of getting tired one week in

The letter goes on: “The occupiers have been fully supportive of any lectures that have gone ahead. Rather than disrupt learning, one of the key aims of the occupation is to question and rethink the nature of educational space.”

not harming anybody

Academics who signed the letter include legendary cyborg-loving English Lit lecturer Dr Fabienne Collignon and President of the Sheffield University Staff Union (UCU) Prof Craig Brandist.

As the occupation advances into its second week, further attention will be drawn to the Richard Roberts building this Thursday when the leader of the Green Party Natalie Bennett gives a talk to supporters of the Free University of Sheffield movement in the auditorium there.