Man claims Adnans takeaway told him they could “do without batty boys in here tonight”

Adnan fiercely denies the claims

A Sheffield man claims he suffered homophobic abuse in West Street takeaway Adnans on Sunday night.

Ryan Cox works at OMG gay bar a few buildings down from Adnans and was in the takeaway getting food with his co-workers after a shift and a trip to West Street Live around 3am.

He claims a staff member referred to him as a “batty boy”, made derogatory comments about him having AIDS, and referred to him as “not normal”, after a disagreement over his food.

Ryan told The Tab: “I asked him how the hell he could talk to me like that and he said ‘Fuck off gay boy, you’re not normal you’, then pretty much just threw my food on to the counter.

“I again questioned how he could talk to a paying customer like that and he asked me why I hadn’t left yet, asking if I was ‘just wanting to get bummed or something.’

“I told him I was going to put this on Facebook and another member of staff came out from behind the counter replied ‘Good, we could do without all you batty boys in here every night’.

“He looked as if he was about to square up to me, but another colleague began to intervene and I left.”

“I just thought it was disgusting and I was truly shocked – whether I am a customer or not I don’t understand how they can think that talking to anybody like that is OK in 2016.

“I’m just glad I stood up to him because they were really intimidating, and I imagine that most gay guys, especially if they were alone, would have just taken the abuse.”

Ryan was left disgusted by the incident

Ryan made a Facebook status detailing his treatment, which has since been shared over 1000 times.

He added: “It feels great to know that so many people feel just the same way about it as I do – I guess in this day and age it’s the homophobes who are now the minority rather than actual homosexuals.”

Responding to the allegations, Adnan fiercely denied claims that he was homophobic, claiming:  “It’s all bullshit. Some girls took his donner kebab and then he got angry at me and told me he was going to fuck up my business.

“When I gave him his containers over the counter it was his job to look after the food not my job. I made him another donner kebab just to save the argument because It was the end of the night, and I said to him that this is money coming out of my pocket.

“He was blaming it on me but it was the girls, it’s not right. He’s the one who had a drink not me. If he can’t look after his food that’s not my fault.

“As soon as I gave him more food, he called me a ‘Paki bastard’ and an ‘ISIS bastard’. I don’t even know what ISIS is, didn’t know until my wife told me. When he called me a ‘Paki’ bastard thats when I realised he was trying to be racist with me.

“I didn’t say anything homophobic either. He said to me that his boss sent him to the shop and he’s from the gay club down the road. I saw him coming out of West Street Live and he’s lying saying that he’s just come out of work at OMG.”

Adnans on West Street

“I have nothing against the gays, a few of my mates are gay. Loads of customers are gay, a few gays who know me told me he’s an idiot. And he’s the one whose being racist to me, what kind of bullshit is that?

“He took a picture outside and said, watch me I’m gonna fuck up your business, and now he’s done this Facebook post.”

Adnan claims that he has video footage which proves that Ryan was behaving aggressively towards him, although unfortunately he has no sound recordings of the confrontation.

Ryan responded to Adnans comments, claiming they are disgusting and unfounded: “Those racist comments are absolutely disgusting. Being a gay guy means I’m too a minority, just like any person of colour – so I understand discrimination and would never even dream of bringing anything personal into an argument such as race, sexuality, religion or gender.

“He’s just trying to play the race card because everybody ‘knows’ racism is worse than homophobia. I’m not gonna say I’m shocked that it’s trying to be turned around on me, but I’m disgusted that they’ve gone down the racist route.

“And I think the reviews on their Facebook page show that I’m not by far the first gay person this has happened to in there – so the whole ‘I have gay friends and gay customers’ thing doesn’t really work. I’m so upset they’ve gone down that route.”