All you need to know about this year’s SU President candidates

It’s that time again

You don’t have time to trawl through the manifestos and campaign videos, and you’ll soon be sick of the picket boards being waved in your face on the concourse.

We’ve done the hard bit for you and summarised everything you need to know about this years presidency candidates.

David Hall

Politics finalist Dave knows what the fans want: promising an annual graduate ball to the tune of Eric Prydz Call on Me. It’s a fair point, we really do need a grad ball. His other main suggestions are increasing  funding and coverage for Forge which he claims is integral to the ‘vibrant community spirit of Sheffield’,  eradicating all forms of prejudice on campus, and ensuring the uni follows through on their promise to end fossil fuel investment.

It’s actually a strong look

Nazma Begum

The only female candidate in the race, politics finalist Nazma is hoping to be the first British Bangladeshi SU President. The thing that first stands out is her flawless contouring and on screen energy, and her promise of regular puppy rooms lives up to expectations. Nazma, who is President of the make up society, Vice President of the Palestine Society and the former BME Officer at Labour Students, is also focussing on mental health provisions, targeted employability, and preventing racism.

Doing it for the gals

Charles Phillpot

Beginning with a literal disclaimer entitled ‘Warning: This video contains a man wearing heels’, Charles’ video offering was undoubtedly the most exciting of the lot. He outlines his manifesto while swirling round a pole, which whilst not being particularly relevant, is a fascinating demonstration of skill. He plants to demarketise education, ‘demand’ free education and campaign against cuts to maintenance grants, all valid things to do- but nothing quite as concrete as some of his competitors.

10/10 tbf

Dom Trendall

Another politics finalist and co chair of Sheffield Labour students, Dom has had plenty of experience campaigning across the region. He wants to increase support from the SU, promising to demand a standardised deadline time of no earlier than 4pm across all departments and also campaigning to keep bus fares down for us all. Whilst Dom doesn’t make that much of an appearance in the video himself, the glowing testaments from friends suggest he already has quite a following.

Dom has lots of experience campaigning
in the region

Adam Hanrahan

Geography finalist Adam is well known for lobbying the SU, having most recently campaigned for extended deadlines following the Janet meltdown, and also leading the campaign to save Jonas Court this year. Adam wants to make it easier for students to participate in sport, give every full time member of staff an annual day for local charity and volunteering work and most uniquely to his campaign: call on the university to have rape and sexual assault as specific extenuating circumstances.

Adam campaigned for extended deadlines in the Janet crisis

Oliver Chandler

In terms of video quality, Oliver’s is without doubt the most sophisticated attempt. Whilst there are no mention of any actual policy suggestions, his moody black and white stroll through the IC is complete with slow motion hair swishing and a windpipe backing tune. On further inspection of his manifesto, he’s arguably the realest candidate: promising to stand up to the Psychology department over their constant emails, reform the food in the IC, and provide a traditional Caf in Endcliffe, offering full English Breakfast every day until 4.00pm

A slightly more relaxed angle than the other headshots

Jon Phillpotts

Biomed third yearJon has dabbled in a variety of extra curriculars in his time at Sheffield : Japan society, Amnesty International and the Sheffield Buddhist centre. He wants to create quiet spaces for mindfulness & meditation, and he’s the sort of person that given the chance, you’d probably quite like to meditate with. Some of the stand out aspects of his manifesto are wanting to make us the most refugee friendly uni in the UK, and also to fight for cheaper cups of tea- making the more than valid and overdue point that hot water and a teabag does not cost £1.60.

Jon knows tea is important

Chris Saltmarsh

Politics and philosophy finalist Chris is well known for his penchant for activism, having lead the socialist vandalism of the concourse in September and also having occupied Nick Clegg’s constituency office in March over in a protest over tuition fees. If his past experience is anything to go by, it’s fair to assume he won’t be messing about as SU President. Chris plans to prioritise an ambitious approach to sustainability, amplify student voices to strengthen democracy and create a healthier, accessible environment for students.

A pinch of Saltmarsh