The Internet on campus has gone down again

Perfect timing

Eduroam and MOLE have broken down again as service provider Janet suffers another “major incident”.

Internet has been down around Sheffield since 11am, affecting both Uni Of and Hallam computers, rendering students unable to access any university services. Everything from Mole and Minerva to the Western Bank library barriers are down, leaving many outraged and confused.

The problem couldn’t have come at a worse time, with almost everybody panicking about coursework and revision.

Is Janet having another breakdown?

Investigations are continuing but it’s unclear when services will be up and running as normal again. But unlike last time Eduroam broke down, some departments are being kind about deadlines.

Calum Paver, English and History third year, said: “I had a deadline today at 12 and the servers went down when I was trying to print my essay. But I went to the history department and they were taking everyone’s name and course down, so as long as you’d done Turnitin they changed the deadline to tomorrow at 12.”

What did we do to deserve this?

Joanna Freedman, English Literature finalist, is gobsmacked by the breakdown and said: “The barriers at Western Bank were being very slow and kept saying ‘computer failure’. It took me three attempts to get in.”