Uni enlists dancing granny troupe for free lectures

So niche

The Mobile University is returning to Sheffield this September, with lectures on a double decker bus and an appearance from dancing granny troupe “Granny Turismo”.

Between the 25th-27th September, the bus will be in three city centre locations – Barker’s Pool, The Moor and Devonshire Green.

Uni researchers are offering three days of free lectures, discussing topics that range from autonomous robots to English nuns.

The stars of the show

The 20 minute talks will cover subjects as diverse as infectious diseases and mind-reading, and will be live-streamed to a gazebo set up alongside the bus.

The talks are free, with the aim of sharing knowledge and research that has been carried out by students and staff alike.

They’ve also got on board the “Granny Turismo” group, the world’s first – and only – shopping trolley dance display team, who’ll be performing at The Moor on the 26th September.

Described on their website as “part walkabout, part circle show and wholly engaging”, the grannies will be offering some niche entertainment for those who want it.

Tickets can be collected each day from 9:30am onwards and the event is already anticipated to be a sell-out.