Uni splashed outrageous £80k on ‘pointless’ State of Sheffield week

The entire Thinkcreate budget was £150,000

Uni bosses spent a staggering £80,000 on the State of Sheffield event, a recent Freedom of Information request has revealed. 

The scheme was run in February for Social Science freshers, where they were forced to attend a mandatory week of lectures, causing uproar among students.

shefstate

Freshers now have more reasons to be angry as our data reveals that the events laid on for their traumatic week were also an appalling waste of tuition fees.

The State of Sheffield week had a huge budget of over £80,000, and similar scheme ThinkCreate of nearly £150,000 – nearly five times the amount spent on global engineering week.

£80,000 doesn't buy organisation.

£80,000 clearly doesn’t buy organisation

The infamous opening ceremony alone cost just shy of £7000, whilst the accordionist and poet were paid an impressive £3042 collectively for their performances, which is more than some of the acts at this years Reading and Leeds festival.

First years who endured the week will take little comfort in these figures, particularly after they took to twitter after the opening ceremony to vent their anger, which cumulated in #StateofSheffield14 trending second nationally.

Education studies fresher, Vicky Jackson, commented “If I had £80,000 I’d spend it on a lifetime’s supply of Corp tickets and buy out Flavours of their garlic mayo. I wouldn’t spend it on a woman who can’t pronounce ‘Sheffield’. Just terrible.'”

Rocking City Hall.

Rocking City Hall

Josh Freed, a Geography fresher, also said  “I was very surprised at the cost of such a pointless week, in particular the cost of the utterly useless opening ceremony and the fees paid to the so called entertainers.”

In response, the University said: “The initiative is designed to be a challenging, fulfilling and highly rewarding experience. It will enable our students to acquire new skills, encounter new ideas and ultimately showcase themselves to prospective employers, something that is of invaluable importance for the University to invest in.

“After an evaluation of the progress so far, we have decided to delay the full scale implementation of the Level 2 elements of Achieve More until 2016/17, allowing us time to focus on embedding Achieve More Level 1 into the curriculum.

“We will, however, be running an opt-in pilot of Level 2 in 2015/16 for 2nd year students as an engaging student experience that builds on Level 1.”

University of Sheffield national

The Tab Sheffield

last seen today at 06:42

Get breaking Sheffield news straight to your WhatsApp.

Find out about the latest campus racism stories, mad shit happening in Corp, and if anyone decides to occupy the Arts Tower again. Straight into your DMs. 😘