The Guardian has ranked us the 2nd worst Russell Group uni

Even Keele beat us

Sheffield has dropped five places in the Guardian league tables, from 37th to an even more abysmal 42nd. 

Thankfully after Liverpool’s similarly awful performance, we aren’t the worst ranked Russell Group in England, but we certainly aren’t far behind.

The tables consider course satisfaction, teaching quality, staff student ratio, average spending per student, entry tariffs, and graduate career prospects.

Tragic

Keele, Falmouth and Coventry are all in front of us, with Coventry stealing a particularly surprising 15th place.

We ranked a particularly outrageous 63rd for Mathematics, meaning that Manchester Met, Oxford Brookes, and God forbid, even our neighbours at Sheffield Hallam allegedly have better Maths courses than we do.

Medicine also came in third to bottom out of the entire country.

It’s not all bad news though. We still left Hallam for dead overall as they came in at 75th, and even managed to fall behind the likes of Chester, Edge Hill and Bradford.

We also ranked in the top ten for Music, Architecture, and Nursing, and the top twenty for English and Mechanical Engineering.