Balti King rebranding to ‘Balti Monarch’ after feminist protest

What do you mean ‘check the date’?

noad

Balti King, the Broomhill restaurant and local leader in fine Indian cuisine, will be changing its name to “Balti Monarch” as of September, following calls for a more gender-neutral alternative. 

Despite running strong for over 20 years, several diners have complained about the current name, tarring it as “patriarchal”, “obsolete” and a “disgrace to modern day Feminism”.

BK will be rebranded from September 2015

The new Balti Monarch will be an inclusive safe space, where all students, regardless of what gender they choose to identity with, can enjoy their £5 deal in a comfortable and welcoming environment.

The eatery will now undergo a six month rebranding process, and Balti Monarch will be fully unveiled at the start of the new academic year.

A Balti King spokesperson said: “At the end of the day, we believe our moral values as a restaurant should match the quality of our curry. Second to none.

“Yes, as the website does state, our curries are the best in the North. Yes, people come from all corners of the globe to live the 3am BK experience. Yes, we have a food hygiene rating of 4. But we know that’s not enough.

“This is the 21st Century. Women should no longer be expected to conform to male ideals, make sandwiches and be reigned down upon by curry houses, even when they’re as brilliant as ours. It’s time for change.”