We chatted to the infamous ‘Broomhill Big Issue lady’

She’s called Gloria and she gave us some tips on life

4ft 8″ and never seen without a hood up, Gloria the ‘Big Issue lady’ has long served as one of Broomhill’s biggest talking points. 

Some had said she’s a lover of witchcraft, others that she couldn’t speak in coherent sentences. Either way I approached with a certain amount of trepidation and £2 clutched tightly in my hand.

But it soon became apparent that my nerves were unnecessary, Gloria could not have been nicer. She even offered to buy me a cup of tea which quite frankly, even my mates wouldn’t dream of.

Gloria

Gloria, who’s 62, has been selling The Big Issue for several years. “I used to be homeless, and I just got rehoused two weeks ago. I’ve been doing this for six years since I’ve been homeless, and any of the money I got I was saving- so I’m doing alright now.”

Gloria explained how she was left homeless after her house was burnt down. “It was through a house fire, some woman started it. One night her and her partner got pissed and set my house alight.” With nowhere to live and no insurance, she says she was left with nothing and forced out onto the streets.

Since being homeless, she’s travelled pretty much the entire country. “I’ve gone from Wolferton all the way up to Aberdeen, then all the way down to the other end of the country- I’ve been doing that for the past 20 years. I get itchy feet so I like to travel around.

“I’ve been in Sheffield on and off for ten years. My daughter brought me back. I was 18 when I had her- she’s 44. I’ve got a son, too. I was living with my daughter until I got rehoused.”

Two mates

I asked Gloria what she thought of the student population. “I find they’re alright, actually. There are a lot more around these days and a lot living in these areas I’ve noticed, and sometimes they’ll ignore you or be a bit rude, but I’ve never had any problems.

“If I have any advice for them I’d say it’s making the best of what you’ve got. You’ve been given a big chance and you’ve got to make the best of it.

“I’m happy- I’ve had a life of work, having children, travelling about, all sorts. Whatever it throws at you you just take it and make the best of it.

Gloria’s popular haunt

Gloria is just one of an estimated 27,000 homeless people living in the UK. Everything she earns from selling The Big Issue goes towards a better quality of living- whether that’s being able to afford to buy her tea, or saving up for a microwave.

Next time you’re stocking up on your Sainsbury’s pre drinks spare Gloria a couple of quid- she’s definitely worth it.