Ched Evans U-Turn: What do Sheffield students think?

We spoke to you on the concourse yesterday

Sheffield United withdrew their offer to allow convicted rapist Ched Evans to train at their club last night, after coming under intense scrutiny.

Here’s what you thought about the issue.

Previously the club agreed to allow former Blades striker to train at the club after a request from the Professional Footballer’s Association.

But last night the club said the reaction “has been at an intensity that could not have been anticipated” and decided Ched would not train at Bramall Lane.

In a statement the club said: “Sheffield United have decided to retract the opportunity for its former player, Ched Evans, to use the club’s facilities for training purposes.

“We recognise that a number of our supporters will be disappointed with the decision, but would ask that they remember the responsibilities we have not only to a fine and proud club, but also to the communities in which Sheffield United is active.”

The Bramall Lane training ground

The club’s initial decision caused public outrage as 165, 000 people signed a petition against Evan’s return.

Olympic champion Jessica Ennis-Hill asked her name to be removed from a stand at Bramall Lane, if he were to be resigned.

Shirt sponsor DBL Logistics also threatened to end its ties with the club should Evans return.

The club said it “condemned rape and violence of any kind against women in the strongest possible terms.”