Sheffield entrepreneurs reach World Cup finals

A team of Sheffield’s next Alan Sugars jet off to China to compete in World Cup finals

A team of Sheffield’s brightest sparks have reached the international enterprise World Cup finals, held in Beijing.

The Sheffield team, known as Sheffield Enactus, competed against host nation China, earlier this week but faced an agonising defeat.

Enactus teams were judged on their innovative ideas to promote sustainability and reduce poverty.

The finals were hosted in Beijing

The team reached the last 16 of the World Cup, coming second in its group to the host nation and eventual winners.

Teams competed from 35 countries across the globe, including the likes of the US and Azerbaijan.

The UK team pitched to the judges details of its international Tapping Potential project – a scheme to provide clean water and soap to rural villages Africa.

They also described the pioneering Homemade venture in which students work with homeless people to create a jam-making business.

The UK team lost to the Chinese host nation, making it to the final 16

Pete, who competed for the UK, admits: “we put in strong performances finishing top of our group in the opening round.”

“Unfortunately we were knocked out in the semi finals by China the host nation.”

“To the delight of 4000 home supporters, they then went on to win the competition.”

Pete wearing some lovely PJs

Their visit was also accompanied by uni Vice Chancellor, Keith Burnett,.

Sounding awkwardly like a proud father, he admitted: “their energy and commitment to using wealth creation as a tool of social good is a message which is truly international.”

“We are deeply proud that our Sheffield students have taken this with them to a global audience here in China.”

No-one was bitten by Luis Suarez.