University unveils new ‘Campus Masterplan’

Uni publishes exciting new plans

University big-wigs have announced new plans for campus over the coming decade, including pedestrianizing Western Bank and building a new Sports Centre.

The Campus Masterplan was unveiled last week and includes ambitious plans to build a new multi story carpark on Durham Road, which will also be used by the Children’s Hospital. In addition, popular student bus services will be changed, with new routes for the 51 and 52.

The university are keen to open up to the wider community, with a new walkway connecting the Arts Tower to Weston Park which will be open to all.

Gym bunnies will be given a state of the art sports centre on Northumberland Road, replacing the tired Goodwin Centre, and there are even plans to make our beloved Arts Tower even prettier by installing a new fountain outside.

Glorious

Road safety will be improved on Western Bank with two new crossings to be installed, ensuring that students remain safe during rush hour.

And sweaty cyclists needn’t worry- two new ‘hubs’ are being built which will come equipped with showers and lockers.

Work will begin on the Masterplan following the opening of the new Diamond Building next September. A forum was held on the 3rd and 4th of September for students and residents to discuss the Masterplan.