How safe is the Steel City?

For ‘Britain’s safest large city’, things haven’t seemed so safe recently

With a wave of burglaries and a student attacked in the city centre in the last week alone, it would be easy to think the city is deviating from it’s typically good reputation.

According to the online open data platform UKCrimeStats.com, Sheffield came in with the 14th highest crime rate based between September 2013 and August 2014.

Not a particularly pleasing result considering constituencies in Luton, Bradford and Burnley were all deemed to have lower crime rates.

But how do these figures affect students?

Despite Sheffield as a constituency not fairing so well, the major student areas Broomhill, Broomhall, Endcliffe, and Crookesmoor, didn’t even make it into 200 highest crime rate postcodes.

Danny Norton was attacked last week

With a recorded 3,091 crime incidents over the year, it can still be considered considerably safer than other inner-city student areas.

For instance, Fallowfield, Manchester’s main student area, had 6,295 recorded crimes, over double that of S10.

UKCrimeStats.com

Second year Leila, who lives on Harcourt Road, said: “There have been rumours of seven burglaries already this academic year on my road.

“But my house has an alarm system anyway so i still feel safe.”

“I feel safe enough” said second-year economics student Matt. “But i still avoid walking round Netherthorpe with valuables on show.”