Has Freshers’ Week gone downhill?

Sheffield’s Freshers week? The same mediocre agenda, only with higher prices.

So here we are again.

Thousands of eager-eyed freshers have moved in and sampled their first taste of Sheffield’s vibrant nightlife.

And the rest of us? We’ve done the same as we did this time last year. And every week after that.

Anti climatic? A little bit.

It’s getting samey.

Last year the uni hosted their American Frat Party, and once again have pulled the very same tepid affair out of the bag.

Still £5 entry fee, free popcorn and a free photobooth.

No improvements at all. Not one.

Similarly, Sheffield Parties have also recycled a host of their 2013 nights with the exception of different reality TV stars.

But, when you’ve seen one Made In Chelsea Z-lister, you’ve seen them all.

And so it continues

Prices on the other hand, are a different story. Sheffield Parties wristbands have gone up by a hefty £4 and entry to the UV paint party was £5 compared to £3.50 previously.

Then there’s Plug. Six full English pounds to see Joey Essex’s fluorescent head from a distance.

As always, fancy dress was still a much accepted custom for this year’s Freshers’ Week.

Keeping it outside of the box

This year, Sheffield Freshers held a Where’s Wally vs Smurfs at the O2 Academy which promised to “combine the two most popular events” for the measly £8 entry fee.

But last year you could find yourself at the zoo themed fancy dress with FREE entry, which also claimed to be one of a kind (despite the event being held again this year).

This leads us on to the quality of Sheffield’s Freshers’ Week overall.

Looking as happy to be there as we are to have him

Other university unions have hosted the likes of Example, Duke Dumont and even “Now You’re Gone” legend Basshunter.

Instead, we peaked at Spencer Matthews on the second day of Freshers’ Week, who didn’t even bother to show up for his much slated appearance at the SU beach party.

Shit guests are one thing, but an absent shit guest is another.

No-show Spencer

So on reflection, it would seem Sheffield’s Freshers’ Week has the very same foundations as last – only shitter and more expensive.