5 reasons to hate the end of the year

With summer finally here, many of us have looked forward to being released from the shackles of university and into three months of pure, unadulterated freedom…

The reality however, can be pretty shit.

1) Social media becomes unbearable

As the end of the semester looms almost tangibly, the temptation to brag about finishing your exams, dissertation or university career all over social media becomes seemingly irresistible. Self-aggrandising selfies, tweets and statuses become the embodiment of irritating, especially to those holed up in the library still slaving over revision.

You can’t believe you’ve finally finished that dissertation? Well done. Time to join the rest of the graduates who can’t get a job. So proud you’ve finished your first year of uni? Congratulations on maintaining a 40% pass rate all year. Now please, fuck off.

We ‘can not’ believe it either

2) The Last Suppers

Last week of term meals are never pretty. You can feel your immune system weeping as you scrape together the last dregs of your freezer in an attempt to formulate a valid meal. You try and push the health concerns to the back of your mind as you tuck into a delectable bowl of peanut butter and rice. How long before you get rickets?

All those meal choices…

3) You’re not allowed to waste your summer away

According to your self-righteous peers, it’s not socially acceptable to spend your summer yoyo-ing between a constant hangover and binge-watching Netflix for three months straight.

The potential horror of having no reply to the question “what did you do over the summer?” is apparently too much to bear; you’d better get down to your dad’s accountancy firm for some real-life experience of the working world.

The week you spent in Spain tanning positively pales in comparison to a course mate’s life-changing experience in Uganda, “intergrating with the local community”. The end of the year brings the desperate search for a horribly paid internship or minimum-wage job, or the sad prospect of being mercilessly judged come September.

Could you be any more smug?

4) You’re still really poor

So you’ve moved back into the comforts of your parents financial nest, yet despite the fact the last student loan instalment came in little over a month ago, you’re still really, really poor.

Finishing up your year of uni also brings with it the horrible realisation that you’ve now got thousands of pounds of debt under your belt. If you’re a first or second year, over £4000 of that went on your last few weeks of uni; which consisted entirely of no lectures, frozen pizzas and regrettable nights out.

5) Your friends are all over the country

Gone are the days of drunken shenanigans, eating copious amounts of junk food and unashamedly stalking Facebook with your flatmates. It’s at this point at the end of the semester that the reality of a lonely summer hits; maybe you should have given those friends from home a little more attention over the past 9 months…