The Definitive List of Bands You Won’t Hate This Weekend

Ready for the weekend but worried your lack of music cool will let you down? We know the feeling. Here’s some bands we liked the sound of who are playing the Steel City this weekend.

So you’ve bought your tickets and you’re ready for the Summer Social/Peace in the Park/[insert club name here]. The only problem is you’re actually not really into music.

You’re going to these places because everyone’s going but you either don’t know or don’t care who’s playing. You’re starting to regret paying £11 to a union event and scared you’re whole night will be spent in the smoking area. We had exactly that thought last week, so we decided to check out soundcloud to save you the trouble of bullshitting your way through a festival.

Here are the acts on in Sheffield this weekend that we think are decent.

Smiling Ivy

The one word we’d use to describe these guys is “lively”. They’re a 5-piece band with a saxophone playing a mix of ska, dub-reggae and punk. And hip-hop. And indie rock. Our best guess would be a reggae Arctic Monkeys. They’ve just released a new album that they’re giving away FOR FREE on their website right in time for Tramlines on July 21. If you’re stuck for any bands to make you look cool on the beach this summer, download their album. Its reggae-funky-rock stuff but you don’t have to be a hipster to like it. Their favourite things to sing about include politics, war, social media and orgies. And the front man sort of looks like Wolverine if  you tilt your head to one side (bonus).

Where? Summer Social (Friday 13) and Peace in the Park (Saturday 14 – Other Stage)

Frontman Dan at Leadmill. photo: Chris Arnold

Ham Pocket

According to Urbandictionary, a ham-pocket is either a delicacy in the US not unlike a pasty, or ‘where you insert your sausage’. Both sound tasty, but not as good as Ham Pocket’s music videos. These guys are an imminently likeable Welsh trio who regularly appear in Sheffield for gigs and festivals and post all their hilarious videos to youtube. Our personal favourite is ‘Fine line between love and crime’, which is filmed around places you’ve actually been in Sheffield.

Where? Peace in the park (Saturday June 14 – Main Stage)

George Ezra

Ok so you have probably heard of George Ezra anyway, but look how pretty he is! Born and bred in Hertford and a member of the Bristol student set, this is the freshest face gracing the Sheffield music scene this weekend. At just 19 he’s younger than a third of us and already more successful. We don’t know how we feel about that, but if you’ve got tickets we’re jealous.

Where? Leadmill (Saturday June 14)

George Ezra is playing at Leadmill this weekend. Choon.

Arnivore

We’re going to go with “jazzy” on this one. Plenty of chart hits from people like Dizzie Rascal in his mixes so you know what’s happening, but also ska and hip-hop and jazzyness and probably RnB. And it’s not proper boring artsy DJ shite either it’s stuff you can dance and have a laugh to without having to know stuff about DJing. And I’m sure if you did know something about DJing it’s good too. Some of it’s a bit mad but it’s never boring. We listened to this at a barbecue at our house and no one came up and asked to put their own music on (thank fuck).

Where? Peace in the Park (Saturday 14 – Main Stage)

funky. Photo: Chris Arnold

Chloe Jade Simmons

This was my personal favourite. Nice folky stuff with acoustic guitars and cellos and shit, but it doesn’t sound like every other folk musician on the planet either. Makes really good revision or sunbathing music. And she’s fit.

Chloe Jade Simmons at Plug. Photo: Paul Rigg

Mighty Vipers

“Funky”. Voice sounds a bit like Pigeon Detectives but on top of a reggae hip-hop thing. Its nice and the lyrics are easy to learn. Probably nice to dance to off your face at a festival, which is lucky because they’re playing one on Saturday. Just don’t tell you’re parents about them.