Want to go rummaging? A guide to charity shop shopping

Tried and Tested: Hannah Lammas’ guide on how to shop in charity shops

Think charity shop shopping isn’t for you? Dislike the idea of wearing someone else’s old clothes? Or simply think it’s best left for fancy dress shopping? Think again, it’s actually the perfect solution to keeping stylish on a student budget and is much more meaningful than buying mass-produced items from Primark. You’re helping raise money for those in need and reducing waste.

But you’re still hesitant aren’t you?!

Follow this guide, give it a chance and you’ll be looking swag on a tenner.

1)   Be open minded:

Get a top for cheaper than an IC tea, can you really say no?!

Shopping in a charity shop is no different from buying vintage – a lot of the time the items you purchase from cow for thirty quid will come straight from a charity shop with a ridiculous mark up. So just keep your eyes peeled for a cool shirt or denim jacket!

2)   Take your time:

Look at all that choice and none of the chaos you get in Meadowhall

There is an art to charity shop shopping – it takes time and patience to look for gold amongst the rubbish. Give yourself a couple of hours and carefully sift through the rails. If you don’t hit lucky the first time try again in a couple weeks when stock has changed.

3)  Size doesn’t matter:

£17 pound for all this you’re ‘aving a laugh

Size 8, 10 or 16? Who cares! When it comes to tops, jumpers or shirts you can get away with an array of sizes depending on how baggy or tight you want your clothes. When it comes to skirts or shorts – cut ‘em? Unleash your inner sewing bee and customise it.

4)   Be aware of the material:

Demanding respect since the 1980s

No one wants to look trampy – sometimes the coolest jumper can be rank and bubbly, not a good look! Avoid these items at all costs. Look out for well-known brands such as Marks and Sparks; these are normally the best quality and look pretty new.

5)   Take a pal:

A kimono for 6 quid go on then!

Sometimes charity shop shopping is a dark art to do alone but if you’re fearful or don’t trust your own decisions (I have been known to go a little OTT sometimes!) then take your most trusted fashion friend along for advice. Then you can both lol at your ridiculous or fabulous choices.

Best place to give it a go – Eccy Road, the haven of charity shops, or try out Broomhill as you walk to Uni!

One last thing – don’t forget to run your purchases through the wash before you wear them.