Sheffield Bucket List: Must Do Things Before Graduating

How many of these have you done?

Aside from the generic activities synonymous with life at university, Sheffield offers plenty more to the prospective student. If you’re one of the ones lucky enough to be studying in the Steel City; take a look at our bucket list of must do things before you graduate!

1) A day in the peaks

If the weather permits, jump on a bus with a few mates and take advantage of the picturesque landscape that the Peak District has to offer. Spend a day sat on Curbar Edge with a picnic and some drinks, letting the cool Derbyshire wind erode the weight from your shoulders.

Did someone say drinks?

2) Eat on London Road

The relationship between London road and it’s international cuisine is similar to that of the chicken and the egg: Did the cosmopolitanism arise from the fact that the street name contains the word ‘London’? Or conversely, they named it London Road because its cultural diversities paid homage to our own beloved capital. Or neither. But, when your stuffing your face with delicious, low-cost food, you probably wont care anyway.

Cosmopolitan life

3) Eat A Burger

Whilst we’re on the subject of food: Sheffield is starting to look like a pretty damn fine place to get a burger. There’s a considerable number of outlets now competing against each other; which of course all makes for a more delicious, affordable burger. For myself, the best of the bunch would be either The Twisted Burger Company at the Harley, or Bungalows and Bears. Why not try both and decide for yourself?

Nothing better than a good meat sweat

4) Attend a gig at The Leadmill

Now ingrained in the Sheffield music scene for over 34 years, The Leadmill has established itself as the beating heart of live music in the city. As well as being the breading ground some of Sheffield’s greatest legends; Pulp, The Arctic Monkeys and Richard Hawley just to name a few, it has also seen some of biggest bands in the world grace its backstage corridors on their way to the top. Even better, tickets are normally quite reasonably priced; so it’s definitely worth looking at who’s playing.

The Arctic Monkeys are from Sheffield? No way?!

5) Watch the Steel City derby

Of course, this largely depends on whether the fixture exists at your time in Sheffield. If it does, it’s worth buying tickets for. There’s a notable atmosphere that envelops the streets during match days; as the UK’s greenest city turns red white and blue. The students Union offers discounted football tickets to its students meaning you can be part of the rivalry for a low cost.

The home Of Sheffield Wednesday

5) Visit Chesterfield

Time spent in Sheffield wouldn’t be complete without visiting her charming, daintier sister – Chesterfield. This beautiful, historic town is only ten minutes away by train and boasts an authentic market in its bustling centre. Traipse the cobbled streets as you take in these marvelous oddities, and afterwards, relax in one of its classy cocktail bars. You won’t regret it.

Edgy

6) Do Tramlines

Sheffield very own music festival is getting bigger year by year. Headlining 2014’s bill are The Cribs, Public Enemy and Katy B. Costing £30 for a weekend ticket; which includes access to anywhere holding an act, it is a relatively cheap weekend, considering students normally have accommodation already. The festival usually takes over the city in a big way, and its worth hanging around just to take in the good vibes.

Festival Fun

Photo- James Clark