Uni triumph in Varsity 2014

A fantastic Ice-Hockey final saw Hallam win 5-2, but it was Uni who celebrated an overall 42-30.5 victory

Photo: Chris Chadwick

Photo: Chris Chadwick

A spectacular Ice Hockey finale at the Motorpoint Arena capped a 2014 Varsity victory for the University of Sheffield, despite losing 5-2 to Sheffield Hallam on the night.

The event is believed to be the biggest ever varsity event in the country, with over 6,000 students in the stands making for an electric atmosphere.

The varsity title was clinched earlier in the day as the Uni squash 1s claimed victory to take Uni over the line.

Uni headed into the showpiece finale with victory already sealed in the overall competition, but this didn’t detract from a fierce spectacle and some glimpses of individual brilliance.

Photo: Chris Chadwick

He makes his opponents trimble. Photo: Chris Chadwick

Photo: Chris Chadwick

It was Hallam who dominated the first period and asserted a grip on the match. Jordan Ho opened the scoring for Hallam on 13 minutes, before Ben Hall took advantage of a powerplay to double Hallam’s lead five minutes later, giving the Hallam fans plenty to sing about.

Wood almost saw Uni head into the first break with a goal to their name, but his shot was saved brilliantly by Bastow in the Hallam goal.

It wouldn’t be Ice Hockey without a bit of violence, with big hits flying in at the start of the 2nd period. Garrett was making impressive moves for the Uni side, but Bastow was keeping him at bay with more top stops.

The strength from the back reaped rewards as Hallam extended their lead on 36 minutes, this time a fantastic solo goal by George Bradbury, weaving through the Uni defence before firing his shot into the top corner and giving Hallam a daunting 3-0 lead at the end of the 2nd period.

Uni needed to make a breakthrough – and they did. Right from the face-off of the 3rd period, star man Garett grabbed a powerplay goal to pull one back for Uni and give the fans something to cheer about.

Photo: Chris Chadwick

Photo: Chris Chadwick

Photo: Chris Chadwick

Three minutes later and Uni had scored again, this time Freddie Trimble finding the net to make it 3-2 and sending the Uni fans into raptures.

The comeback was on for Uni as there was even more clattering between the two sets of players, who spend the rest of the year playing together as the Sheffield Bears. Uni had thought they’d drawn level with ten minutes to go, only for the goal to be disallowed to the delight of the Hallam fans.

After good Uni play, it was Hallam who took advantage of a 55th minute penalty for Bradbury to grab his second goal of the evening. The victory was sealed on 59 minutes after Uni had gambled by leaving an empty net, only for Ben Hall to find it in style and seal an emphatic  5-2 victory for Hallam.

Even if this did put a sour note on the occasion, it didn’t stop the 4,000 strong Uni crowd going mad when sports officer Emily Dibble lifted the Varsity trophy.

Photo: Chris Chadwick

Photo: Chris Chadwick

Congratualtions to everyone who took part in Varsity 2014!