How to save money on your food shop

Katie Chubb and Heather McDonald tell you how to be frugal when shopping for food in Sheffield.

It’s that time of year again; no money for anything. Use by dates become ‘guidelines’ and all attempts at healthy eating fly straight out of the window, as our evening meal consists of a tin of sweetcorn and the balsamic vinegar we swore we could justify at the beginning of the semester.

For all of you riding the same boat of despair, Katie Chubb and Heather McDonald tell you how to save some precious pounds on your food shopping.

1. Moor Market

Moor Market, located off Furnival Gate (between Replica and Plug) is a student’s paradise. It boasts bargains such as 30 eggs for £2, 2 boxes of chocolate fingers for £1, and locally-sourced meats for a mere fraction of the supermarket price.

There’s a wide range of local independent businesses to choose from; butchers, bakers, greengrocers, and sweet shops to name but a few. ‘Stuart’s Fruit and Veg Stall’, towards the back of the market, really is the cream of the crop, with 2 for £1 on many of his products including punnets of strawberries, cauliflowers, and broccoli.

Get Moor for your money

2. Iceland (next to Moor Market)

Iceland is for all those among us who live off chicken nuggets and chips. You knew it was cheap, but you didn’t know it was the 60 onion bhajis and samosas for £3 kind of cheap!

Iceland has an exclusive deal with Greggs, which means that for just £1.50 you can enjoy their delectable pasties in the comfort of your own home!

And you might as well stock up, as they also offer free home delivery on large orders!

That’s why students shop at Iceland

3. John Crawshaws

This charming local butchers has a lively and authentic atmosphere – spot the animated staff flogging the best deals and customers crowding around the counters to get their hands on them.

They offer impressive prices on their meat, including our favourite: 2 chicken breasts, 8 sausages, and a packet of mince for only £6! (This deal also includes other types of meat INCLUDING BACON).

If that doesn’t wow you, then maybe the 30 chicken fillets for £20 will. Perfect for freezing and sharing with housemates.

Top tips and tricks:

• Don’t buy something just because it’s on offer, who really needs four packets of mini Battenbergs?
  • Attempt to haggle with market sellers, I bet they’d love that.
  • Share deals with housemates, or you’ll just have to make a mother truckin’ massive omelette with those 30 eggs you bought for yourself.
  • NUS extra cardholders can get 10% off at the Co-operative Food
  • Many cafes and food shops offer a student discount – it’s always worth dangling your UCard in front of the cashier’s face to get that extra 10% off
  • If you buy a meal at McDonald’s, you can get chips, a cheeseburger, or a McFlurry FOR FREE with a student card.
  • NUS extra cardholders can also get 40% off on Mondays and Tuesdays at Pizza Express and Orange customers can get 50% off on Wednesdays with a valid Orange Wednesdays code.

Got your own student scrimping tips? Leave them below!