Varisty Men’s Football: Hallam 4 – 2 Uni

Hallam storm to victory after Uni controversially reduced to 10 men; fan celebrates by getting his nob out.

Photo: Chris Chadwick

Sheffield Hallam grabbed victory in the men’s football after Uni had a man sent off in the latter stages of an exciting spectacle at Hillsborough.

The match was poised at 2-2 until defender Howard saw red for a lunging challenge before Hallam killed the game with two swift goals.

Hallam celebrated in fitting style by diving in front of the uni supporters – and getting naked.

Uni came into the game looking to avenge last year’s dull 1-0 defeat on the final day of Varisty 2013. The men were hoping to fare better than the Uni women, who suffered a 7-0 thrashing by Hallam earlier in the day.

After an opening that could be best described as wet, a Hallam free kick that narrowly evaded Uni keeper Seymour’s far post spurred the game into life. Hallam were on top in the opening exchanges with Uni providing a direct counter-attacking threat.

Women’s Football in action earlier. Photo: Chris Chadwick

Photo: Chris Chadwick

And it was Uni who made the breakthrough after 20 minutes in true student style, a cross from the right failing to be dealt with by the hallam defense before an attempted clearance hit the hallam keeper and ended up in the back of the net.

Hallam were certainly keen to respond, their no. 10 forcing a save from Seymour, before narrowling heading a crossed free kick over the bar.

And the hard work paid off minutes later, a loose pass allowing Hallam no. 9 to nick the ball before checking past one and coolly slotting beyond Seymour.

After hitting the crossbar minutes earlier, Hallam took a deserved lead into half time. A corner again caused havoc in the Uni box before the ball ended up creeping over the line despite the efforts of Seymour.

Barely did your reporters have time to sip their half-time hot chocolates and uni had drawn level to make it 2-2, this time the head of Huw Atwood meeting a cross from the right and spectacularly finding the top corner. Goals galore at Hillsborough.

Photo: Chris Chadwick

Photo: Chris Chadwick

Scrambling around. Photo: Chris Chadwick

The turning point came as Uni were controversially reduced to 10 men with around ten minutes remaining, the referee ruling that defender Howard lunged with raised studs to the disbelief of the Uni supporters.

And Hallam immediately made the advantage count with the classiest goal of the afternoon.

Two minutes after the dismissal, Aaron Ward was played in on the right of the box before firing neatly beyond Seymour into the far right corner to restore Hallam’s lead.

The contest was over minutes later after a handball by a Uni defender gifted Hallam a penalty that was fired into right hand corner to make it 4-2 and send the Hallam fans into delirium and in one instance, trouserlessness.

Photo: Chris Chadwick

Photo: Chris Chadwick

A winning streak. Photo: Chris Chadwick

The Varsity 2014 score stood at 5-4 to Uni ahead of today’s Varsity 10k.

Follow @TheTabSheffield for live Twitter updates of Friday’s Varsity rugby and cricket.