Hail Yael!

The Tab gives you a round-up of the results from this year’s SU officer elections

officers

#sufie. Photo: SheffieldSU

Yael Shafritz claimed a narrow victory in the 2014 officer elections to become the first female president of Sheffield SU since 2002.

The third year Politics student grabbed the glory with 28.4% of the vote, just 83 votes ahead of runner-up Annie Lapik.

The buzzword for this year’s results was diversity, with 4 out the 8 officer positions being won by women and Malaka Mohammed, originally from Gaza city Palestine, storming to victory in the race for education officer.

Here are some of the standout stats from this year’s elections…

According to the SU website:

•  9,209 votes were cast, with a total turnout of 35.9%, slightly down on last year’s showing of 36.3%.
  • The most vote-happy department was History, with a turnout of 59.82%, narrowly pipping Politics and Molecular Biology.
  • Bringing up the rear was Ophthalmology and Orthoptics, with a measly 28.36% bothering to vote.
  • The officer with the biggest mandate in terms of winning margin was new eductaion officer Malaka, who took a stonking 53.7% of the vote as one of four candidates

The full results are as follows:

Development – Jack Wyse
Education – Malaka Mohammed Shwaikh
Activities – Clio Symington
Women’s – Miriam Miller
Sport’s – Jonny Block
ISO – Jose Diaz De Aguilar Puiggari
Welfare – Tom Harrison
President – Yael Shafritz