Your choices for President

The Tab asked our candidates for SU president to sum up in 100 words why YOU should vote for them.

Chris Smith – “Speaky Smithy”

umford and Chris Smith

“Can you name all of our current student officers? Do you know what each officer does?

Sadly, this is not the case for the majority of students. As president I want to be a member of a student officer team who engages with the students who voted for them throughout their term in office.

I would like to lead the officer team in talking to students at sports clubs, societies, and chat sessions in Coffee Revs, to engage as many people as possible in the power of our students’ union and show them what the power of union officers engaged with 27,000 students can do!”

Max Fyldes – “Post Grad Fyldes”

MAX WANTS YOU

“I’m Max, it’s my fourth year in Sheffield, I’m an international politics MA, and I’m ginger (a quality which has featured in my campaign more than I expected).

I want to use the upcoming general election to gain ground on the Union’s existing campaigns and on those I seek to implement.

I want to see accessible postgraduate funding. If it’s unacceptable to be priced out of undergrad, why is it acceptable to price people out of PG?

I want to see a more cohesive campus, where there’s no culture of avoiding socialising with groups such as internationals and postgrads.”

Chaz Lockett – “Lefty Lockett”

Insta-President

“I’m a 22 year-old Masters student, I’ve been at Sheffield University for 5 years, and in that time I’ve seen the quality of our education slide, whilst fees have TRIPLED, and executives have lined their pockets (our VC got a pay rise of £104,000!).

We’re being ripped off as universities are being turned into businesses and graduate factories rather than institutions for learning and self-betterment.

This isn’t pie-in-the-sky daydreaming: our University can use its vast cash reserves to lessen the worst impacts of the cuts, whilst we campaign nationally for free education funded by taxing the rich.”

Jacob Hebditch – “Herby Hebditch”

Jacob is headed in One Direction … The Presidential Suite

“You may know me from those big leaves all over campus, it’s kinda my theme this fortnight. I’m big on ethical/environmental issues, like food collections for the homeless and removing our investments in fossil fuel companies.

Back on campus, I’d make the Union more relevant and accountable so that people know what it is and want to get involved.

Finally, vote for me and I’ll get MP candidates on campus so we can grill them in person on what they’ll do for students. My manifesto has more details about policies and my experience for the role (lots!)”

Natasha Sorrell – “Nationalising Natasha”

Natasha POWAH

“Across the globe students are suffering; falling living conditions, privatisation of education, cuts to grants, privatisation of the student loan-book, and mass unemployment, because of the crisis of capitalism.

We need a President who will lead and coordinate our Union with all others to fight for the nationalisation of major industry under democratic workers’ control and for its profits to be invested into free education, in not-for-profit housing, a living grant for all students, the abolishment of student debt, and a living wage for all workers.

Vote Socialist Sorrell for President to unite and fight within the student movement!”

Yael Shafritz – “Smiley Shafritz”

Super happy President

“I’m running for president but don’t want to claim to speak for all students, like some weird composite of all 27,000, rather I want the SU to empower students to represent and lead for themselves.

I want to call out the university’s hypocrisy; I set up the living wage campaign and will continue to challenge the VC’s 39% pay rise while the uni claims there isn’t enough money for fairer wages.

I also want to work with food projects from around Sheffield to turn food wasted at university and Union outlets into cheap and sustainable meals for students.”

Annie Lapik – “Money, Money, Annie”

Lapik climbs mountains, a vital presidential skill

“My policies are aimed to benefit different groups of students. I want to achieve transparency and reduction in prices of student accommodation. It’s time to start speaking out that students are left with less than £1,500 from their loan after paying for accommodation costs.

I want to make food and drink more varied and cheaper. I want to start by reducing the amount students are paying during exams and at night. I aim to achieve more variety of music and events to suit diverse student population.

Also, as an academic focused university we do not provide enough opportunities and part time jobs in the union for arty and talents students. I want to achieve a closer link between creative societies and the union. I have experience related to all of my policies and therefore I know I can make the change happen.”

Louise Delmege – “Third-Person Louise”

“Did someone say Louise Delmege?”

“I’m a philosophy second year with a whole year ahead of me after I finish as President. My experience includes chairing, trusteeship and director positions of a national education charity.

I’ve done my research, I’ve talked to students, and I’ve made sure my policies are 100% achievable. No false promises from Louise.

My 3 main areas of change will be; improving our accommodation, supporting our right to protest, and increasing the accessibility of our university. These three parts are integral to our lives, our identity as students, and our right to education.”

Kassandra Talbot told The Tab that she was dropping her candidacy.