Team of the week: Boxing

Ever had a question for the Uni boxing team? Jake Nelson gets the low down.

With this year’s Varsity about to get into full flow, The Tab spoke to Uni’s Boxing club captain Graham Neil about sport, socials and beating Hallam.

Ratings:
Levels of violence – It’s Boxing, duh
Masculinity –  Super-mega.
Chance of a Varsity point – On the cards.

Ding ding.

How did you get into Boxing?

I’ve boxed for 7 years, where I come from is big on boxing. But a lot at university just come down to a session and get involved.

Funniest thing you’ve seen in a Boxing ring?
I’ve got a confession to make now, a few weeks ago I tried to do a Chris Eubank or Naseem Hamed entering the ring (using the ropes to front flip into the ring) and ended up flat on my back. It’s the last time I try that.

Best thing about being part of a sports team at Uni?
The fitness and meeting people you wouldn’t otherwise meet is great.

Queensberry Rules!

What are the socials like?
Boxing isn’t great for socials due to it being very fitness based but we have them about once a month. The Varsity social is the best where everyone goes out together after the event.

Biggest lightweight in the team?
Definitely the vice-captain, Charlie Salmon. Every social – especially the Christmas one – he’s in the first taxi home from our first place.

Last year Uni lost Varsity 2-1 but the club are confident they can avenge that loss this time.

Varsity, confident?
We’re fairly confident, we’ve got three good boxers matched up. Charlie Salmon, Ray Kahn and Jai Meyrick are our fighters and they should put on a good show.

Why is Varsity so big and why does it mean so much?
Varsity in general is just so big. For Boxing though, how much more competitive can you get than a Hallam lad and a lad from Uni fighting each other in a Boxing ring?

What’s it like to land a right hook on a Hallamer?
I’ve only ever sparred with a Hallamer. Even though it is Hallam, there are never any hard feelings in a Boxing Ring.

Boom! Right in the breadbasket! Maybe.

Finally, how would I get involved?
Join the Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/SheffUniBoxing/?fref=ts) to find out about training times and then just get yourself down to a session. From next year we’ll be part of Give it a Go to try and get more people to join.

Boxing Varsity takes place on Saturday 15th March in The Octagon from 7pm. Get your tickets from the SU Box office for £6.

Want to be a Tab Team of the Week? Email [email protected]!