Why is #NekNominate still going?!

Neck Nominate is just dull now, but could there be another way?

We’ve all seen them. If you’re as unfortunate as me there was a time when your Facebook newsfeed was nothing but people grinning like idiots, clutching a pint glass.

YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU. To stop.

Odds are you’ve even been nominated yourself. I was too, and for a split second I considered it. But then I remembered I’m not a 15 year old trying desperately to make sure the cool kids will still let me hang out with them.

Turns out saying no to a neck nomination means you’re a pussy and a bore. For about 20minutes anyway and then the world still turns and people carry on their daily lives.

When they first started hitting my screen they genuinely were entertaining; cross-dressing, wading through icey rivers or doing weird acrobatics. There was a surprising amount of stage presence and in some, a real display of creativity to the point where the downing was the most boring part.

But after the first 40 or 50, as you might imagine, the entertainment factor starts to wear thin. No, I don’t want to watch you drinking a pint whilst standing on an escalator, but boy are you crazy; it was moving and everything!

So edgy.

It’s about time we let this phenomenon slowly fade to obscurity like all trends eventually do. Neck nominate has managed to cling on much longer than I expected, but in the worst way.

It’s rare to see an original idea, and without the fact you’re bollock naked or maybe just bit the head off a dead baby chick, it’s just you drinking alone.

And I know its impressive that you can down a bottle of Disaronno, but remember that everyone who’s watching is secretly hoping you will vomit it all back down yourself because that’s much more entertaining than the smug face you’ll pull once you’ve managed it.

LADS Lads…lads…?

But what would fill the empty void that neck nominations would leave? A friend recently brought to my attention RAK nominations. RAK stands for Random Acts of Kindness and sees people doing good deeds.

Its not harmful or idiotic, and instead of downing a pint of Stella laced with raw egg, you give a homeless person a meal or maybe pay for a stranger’s parking.

Any good deed counts and it encourages the kind of behaviour that should be more commonplace in our society anyway.

Heartwarming.

I would write my own conclusion but I felt like it was better phrased elsewhere on the internet;

“if someone nominates you to shove something down your throat tomorrow then you should just say no thanks i have already nominated myself to not be a idiot today and then peacefully walk away.” Chris (Simpsons artist)