Sheffield Student shortlisted for mission to Mars.

Could this Sheffield student be one of the first Martian colonists?

Across the planet 1058 people, from 200,000 applicants, have been shortlisted to begin a human colony on Mars. One of these potential explorers is Gillian Finnerty, an Astrophysics student at the University of Sheffield.

Getting a glimpse of her future home?

Mars One hopes to have the first permanent human colony set up on Mars by 2025, a feat made infinitely more difficult by some candidates submitting their application videos in the nude.

Speaking to The Tab, Gillian said “I’ve wanted to be an astronaut since I was seventeen and when I heard about Mars One I knew it was the trip I’d been waiting for.”

Not only is the flight a colossal eight months long, but the Armstrongs and Aldrins of our generation are taking a one way trip as it offers ‘technical advantages’ to the mission.

Sure does look far away…

When asked how she felt about never returning to Earth, Gillian said “I’ll be sad to never see friends and family but I’d rather go and not come back than not go.”

“My mum and dad want me to get a nice normal job, but my sister is kinda happy for me, I guess.”

The colony will have internet connection for around fifteen minutes a day, so the settlers will be able to send video messages back home.

Spaceship ties are all the rage.

The current list of 1058 will be cut down to just 24 over the next two years, but even if she isn’t selected, Gillian is not to be deterred.

If the dream of space travel doesn’t come true for her this time, she intends to do a PhD and reapply to be an astronaut in the future.