Students Tape Faces up in protest

Campaigners speak out against repression, which is impressive considering their mouths were taped shut…

Students protested today against the  University’s decision to obtain a possession order over the entire campus, restricting further protest activity.

Sheffield students strike out. Photo: Ismar Badzic

At 12:30pm today students gathered outside the concourse displaying banners and taping their mouths closed.

Around 40 students from Sheffield Strikes Back, the Living Wage Campaign, Autonomous Students’ Network and Revolutionary Socialists all gathered outside the entrance to the Students’ Union.

They taped their mouths as a silent protest against regulations on student activism on campus.

Campaigners have duct-taped their faces to represent their repression. Photo: Ismar Badzic

A representative of Sheffield Strikes Back campaigning today told The Tab: “We’re protesting today because there’s been an increasing level of resistance against student activism across the UK.

“This is the second time the university has tried to ban all student protests on campus, which is clearly a big political problem.”

The campaigners are eager to show that they will not be cowed by the University’s acquisition of a possession order over the entire campus. The order requires protesters to request permission to demonstrate on university property.

This campaign, it was advertised on the event page created yesterday, did not have permission.

Yeah, fuck that repression shit. Photo: Ismar Badzic

When asked whether there were concerns over today considering the University’s new authority over student activity, campaigners seemed untroubled.

“The university generally play these demonstrations by ear so we weren’t too worried. This is intended to be a nice, approachable day for all students. It’s about getting the message out to students and letting them know what’s going on.”

The campaigners are not just here about clashed with the University of Sheffield. Sheffield Strikes Back, the broad-left student group leading the demo, has termed it a ‘solidarity demonstration with Sussex and London’ where a number of student protests have clashed with the police.

‘get coppers off of university spaces!’ Photo: Ismar Badzic

‘This year in April there’s been resistance in Sussex, 85 police with dogs came and cleared out the building, arresting people violently.’ The Tab were informed.

Protestors urged participants to ‘bring duct tape’ on the Facebook event created on December 5, as they would be ‘taping mouths up to show how management is silencing us.’

An estimated 43 students have been arrested in student protests in London, while four students in Sussex have been suspended from all protest activity.

In a protest in London this week, video footage was taken of a police officer appearing to assault one student. Meanwhile in sussex, police are using kettling as a means of controlling student demonstrations.

So far, reaction from students has been mixed. 2nd year Dentist Rosie said: “This is the sort of campaign that students can really get behind. It’s great that they’re inviting students to come up and speak to them about what they do and what’s going on at the university. It makes a change from not really knowing much and just seeing people with their faces covered occupying buildings. It makes everything more accessible for us.”

although duct-taped, campaigners were very eloquent. Photo: Ismar Badzic

However, some students are yet to be persuaded. Today’s protest faced student hecklers who wondered why the participants ‘didn’t have any other work to do?’

Although the protest has now finished, campaigners from both Uni and Hallam are still on Campus. Whether you’re for or against student activism, come on down and have your say!