5 objects every Sheffield student needs

If you’re a student in Sheffield, these things will make your life that little bit easier.

Being a student in Sheffield entails having to endure the three Cs: climate, clubbing and climbing. Here’s your pocket guide to the 5 crucial items needed to see you through your Sheffield experience.

1. Corp shoes

Love it or loathe it, Wednesday night brings one thing: the floor of Corp. A sea of grime and tar lies below the dancing – shoes worn to this student haven should never see the light of day anywhere else. Dedicate your cheapest, ugliest, darkest shoes to this event, and this event only.And for that guy I know who owns a pair of wedding/funeral/Corp shoes – that’s not okay.

2. A Revs loyalty card

Don’t be daft. If you want to cling on to the one bar, you won’t be judged for avoiding downing Sambuca or Jäger but you won’t be able to outrun your overdraft for long without the ‘2 for 1’ deals. And, as long as you don’t order a ‘Del Boy’ or a ‘Cosmo’, you guys can still retain your ‘lad status’ by charming the ladies with martini in hand. James Bond style.

Loyal

3. A pair of ice treads

The days when a sledge is appropriate for cruising down Conduit are just around the corner, and although the journey down entails hours of fun, good luck getting back up. Invest in a pair of trusty ice treads for the bottom of your boots, and snigger at the naïve students tripping and tumbling as you swagger past.

Hilling me softly

4. A heated clothes rack

Practicality is not about being cool. It’s about going to lectures in dry clothes and not smelling of damp. As a student, you’ll probably have just as much luck sneaking the heating on as drying your clothes in such a poorly insulated house. Thus, the economical heated clothes horse is a should-be friend to every Sheffield student.

5. A sturdy umbrella

The wind tunnel. You all know it, you all fear it. Whipped up between the Arts Tower and Western Bank at 9 a.m. are gale-force winds propelling you back towards to comfort of your bed. The wind on its own is traumatising enough, but once a northern downpour is added to the equation all hope is lost. So throw your convenient but pathetic pocket umbrella away, bite the bullet, and invest in the bulky batter-proof golf umbrella. Or steal your Dad’s.