STRIKES RELOADED

We’ll be back – and they stuck to their word. Lecturers roll out of bed to strike for better wages.

University staff striking today have said they are prepared to strike again if their demands are not met, with some claiming that students who complain to the Vice-Chancellor may receive a £60 refund for today’s tuition.

Students and staff alike have been patrolling the campus since 7:30 a.m., protesting against pay cuts and urging students not to cross picket lines by entering university-owned buildings.

Picket lines have been drawn at Elmfield, Firth Court, the Arts Tower, Western Bank, the Hicks Building, the Information Commons, the concourse and the Geography and Management buildings.

Protesters pose outside Jessop West

Meanwhile the Arts Tower continues to be blockaded by students after an overnight occupation, preventing any students or staff from entering the building. You can’t even use the nice loos.

The strike action today comes as a result of the University’s continued breakdown in negotiations between trade unions Unite, UCU and Unison. University staff are facing an effective 15% slash in wages.

Students missing out on lectures today have been advised by the SU and strikers to contact Vice-Chancellor Keith Burnett directly. Sources have informed The Tab that those who complain may be given a £60 refund for their days tuition. PhD student and personal tutor Sam Morecroft said ‘I’m hearing that students who’ve complained to the Vice-Chancellor here will get a day’s tuition fees refunded – which is £60.’

‘Where’s my money?’ – complaining directly to the VC could bag you £60

Morecroft added that they are striking for the best interests of students.

‘I’m on a zero-hours contract and also I’m an officer in the UCU – and my role is to represent students members who are PhDers and members of staff.’

‘It’s really very galling to sit across from HR managers who boast about the fact that they’re increasing their revenue, putting more money into reserves, about building new vanity projects like this new Students’ Union, a shop front to attract new students, but they don’t really care about the existing students whose fees are going less on education and on staff.’

Although there are mounting concerns that the strikes are not forcing UCEA (Universities and Colleges Employers Association) to open negotiations again, this will not deter the unions.

‘[UCEA] are refusing to budge. We’ve asked them to give us a meaningful offer. We are prepared to strike again if they’re not willing to negotiate. We’d be happy to listen to a variety of offers.’

On the move: strikers march on to city centre to join Hallam protesters

But some students are still in two minds about supporting strike action. Third year English student Rianna said: ‘I understand that the pay cuts aren’t good for my education, but neither is not being taught. I only have five hours contact time per week, and two of those were meant to be today. At the end of the day I’m in my last year of uni and I need the contact time’.

The strikes are expected to culminate in a rally outside City Hall, where SU councillors will speak alongside union members before marching through the city.