Third Years Party The Hardest

Oldies say collective ‘YOLO’ according to a new survey.

Everyone thinks freshers party the hardest, right? Well new research is putting this stereotype to shame. Third-year students are partying hardest during the week, a new survey has revealed.

According to the National Student Money Survey 2013, freshers nationwide are only going out 1.23 nights per week in comparison to a strong showing from the older, wiser students who apparently go out 1.57 nights per week.

How’s that dissertation coming on?

The Tab spoke to geography and planning fresher Joel Gandhi to investigate further.

“I go out 4 or 5 times a week. Being social is one of the most important things you can do as a fresher and since first year doesn’t count, there’s really no excuse not to go out and live life!”

First year physicist Mary Harvey, spoke to The Tab about the tough decision between food and drink. “I go out 3 or 4 times a week depending on how tight my budget is or how much I want to eat that week.”

Third year Mechanical Engineering student Bert Keen once again disagreed with the survey. “I don’t go out now as much as I used to in first year, but still probably average twice a week.”

What a life

So it seems that the stats and the students disagree.

The average amount that students have for socialising per week has dropped to £19 from the £28 figure recorded last year in a study by the National Union of Students (NUS).

Hallam students are, however, the better boozers. With an average of 24.5 units of alcohol consumed per week, Hallam surpass uni of’s efforts, placing them 5th overall in the studentbeans.com Drinking League. This is compared to a reticent 18.6 for Uni who ranked 39th overall.