Sheffield slam “creepy” ratemash

Sheffield students are “flattered but scared” of the site that takes your photos without consent. The NUS has called for action…

Students have slammed creepy website Ratemash, branding the rating site “a bit weird and seedy”.

The website – which takes your facebook profile picture without consent – has caused a huge stir. The NUS have called for action to be taken against the “unacceptable” site, calling it a “gross invasion of privacy”, according to the Daily Telegraph.

The site claims to “sort out your nightlife” and promises: “If someone thinks your hot and you agree, we’ll match you up.” Students from the University of Sheffield don’t know whether to be flattered or appalled.

“I’m very flattered but also scared someone has accessed my Facebook and rated my pictures without me knowing!” said Gemma Stanforth, a 3rd year Maths & Business student and no. 23 on the top 50 Hottest Girls at Sheffield.

Gemma was “flattered but scared” that she appeared on the site…

The Tab asked 30 students across the country about their ratemash profiles. Not one of them knew that they were on the site.

2nd year historian Jamie Smithson is also in two minds about his ranking at no. 16 on the site. “I think it’s a bit weird. We didn’t sign up to have our faces and links to profiles on there for anyone to see. We don’t know how they’ve got us up there and if they are even allowed to. It just seems a bit seedy.”

“As for being number 16 it’s an honour and a privilege to be recognised in this way but it’s completely inaccurate.”

The site allows you rate girls and guys as hot or not…

On the other hand, some students are loving their new found hotness. Sean Hubble, 3rd year philosophy student was pleased to hear he’d made it into the top 50, “this has been a long time coming, it’s nice to finally get the recognition I deserve”.

Sean Hubble, proud at no. 6 on RateMash’s list of Sheffield hotties

RateMash allows students members to take their profiles down. “Facebook users may always remove themselves from the RateMash listing through the opt-out page”. However, the vast majority of students unaware that they’re on RateMash. So far, the site has uploaded over 150,000 Facebook profiles without permission.

However, the website’s privacy policy insists that everything is above board. “RateMash allows its visitors to rate Facebook users based on different criteria using only the information that these users have made publicly available (e.g.: profile pictures and profile names).”

Even I’m on RateMash apparently.

RateMash’s page concerning privacy policy clearly states “anyone pubicly searchable on Facebook may be included in the RateMash listing.” It is unknown how many Facebook users are searchable, either publicly or pubicly. However, a recent study in the US found that 1 in 4 households with at least one Facebook profile either did not use or weren’t aware of how to restrict public searches on their accounts.