Review – Inox Dine

It’s a new ritzy restaurant on the top floor of the Students’ Union. It’s classy and, as a result, it’s not as much of a steel as its name would suggest. But is that such a bad thing?

Inox Dine is well posh. Everyone wears a waistcoat and there’s a grand piano in the corner. Every table is set and there’s ‘a speciality egg bar for breakfast meetings’. It sounds completely incongruous in an SU. Seriously. What the fuck is an egg bar?

But, if you can ignore the egg bar, the incongruity isn’t too much of a bad thing.

The Tab at table

The place itself is on Level 5 of the Students’ Union. It has two balconies: one overlooks the South Entrance, a great spot from which to spit on all the plebeians in Bar One, and the other is lined with truffle trees.

Both offer spectacular views of the city and, in the summer months, I’m sure they’ll be lovely. I just wish I was joking about the truffle trees.

Pretentious decor aside, the food is delicious and the service is immaculate. Even the bread selection is special: I had a Yorkshire pudding served with Henderson’s Relish and onion. And it were reet good.

Joe Berry, the head chef, aims to ‘create classic dishes with a Sheffield twist’ and, with his mushy peas dubbed ‘Yorkshire caviar’, he definitely succeeds.

Corny. Photo Ismar Badzic

Mains range from £7.25 for ‘Barbequed Yorkshire Corn-Fed Chicken’ to £14.50 for ‘Barbequed Brisket of Beef’ or ‘Slow Cooked 48 Hour Pork Belly’ and they’re all fantastic. There are vegetarian options too, such as the £13.25 ‘Mushroom Gnocchi’, which are just as tasty.

Overall, the menu oozes epicurean delight. But, unfortunately, it’ll also ooze into your wallet – on average, a two course meal and a drink will cost at least £20 per person.

That said, the tipples are definitely worth paying a bit extra for. When choosing wine, I tend to look for the ABV on the bottle. Thankfully, from the plethora on the list, our waiter was able to recommend a Pinot noir. And it was … really … really … winey.

I am more familiar with the beers. They come in an equally extensive (and expensive) selection. From Italy’s Birra Moretti to Poland’s Żywiec, the variety is impressive. There are even ales brewed by an alumna.

Really … really … winey. Photo Ismar Badzic

Inox Dine isn’t cheap and it’s definitely not the place for a snack between lectures. But, if you’re looking for somewhere to sip a nice beverage on a nice balcony or a place for the parents to take you when they visit, you should definitely consider it.

It has an egg bar.

www.glovesandglass.com