Sheffield United Offer Students Free Tickets

The Blades make a bizarre move in the hope of increasing attendances – by literally giving tickets away.

Sheffield United are offering ‘FREE tickets for students’ for their League One clash with Crewe later this month.

A poor spell – United are struggling to get things right

A large pull-out poster, which has been on display since early last week, is urging students to ‘GET YOUR TICKETS FROM THE STUDENT [sic] UNION BOX OFFICE NOW’.

The spelling error is evidence alone of United’s haste to get rid of unwanted tickets.

The ticket permits holders to watch 90-minutes of third-tier football, as the manager-less Sheffield United, who currently sit bottom in the league, take on lowly Crewe Alexandra.

Discounted student tickets are commonplace in the Steel City, with Sheffield United and Sheffield Wednesday both offering reduced prices in the past. However, this recent, rare act of kindness is unusually desperate – probably a direct response to United’s recent poor form.

A regular enjoys his Bramall Lane ‘experience’

‘The Blades’ have managed to score just six goals in their first ten games – the worst scoring record in the league. Their earlier run of six straight defeats is also the joint-worst streak in the Football League this season – a record that they share with Accrington Stanley.

The start of the 2013/14 season has been so poor for the Sheffield club that David Weir was recently sacked – after just four months in the job.

Nevertheless, United are confident that students will still give up their time, if not their money, to support the home team at Bramall Lane.

Weir gonna have to do better than that

Sheffield United are expected to advertise the vacant managerial position in the Students’ Union early next week.

Free tickets can be collected from the Students’ Union Box Office, subject to limited availability. ‘The Blades’ kick off against Crewe Alexandra at 3pm on Saturday 26 October.