Search begins for Broomhill Hit and Run driver

Perpetrator failed to stop before fleeing into Weston Park…

UPDATE: Police have confirmed that a 30-year-old has been assisting them with their enquiries. 

Police are looking for the driver that left one person seriously injured after a hit-and-run in the early hours of Sunday morning in Broomhill.

A 48-year-old man was knocked down but the driver of a silver Fiat Punto failed to stop.

The incident, which occured at aproximately 00.15, left the stretch of Fulwood Road between The York and Costa closed by police for several hours.

Police at the incident

The driver and one passenger abandoned the car on the junction of Nile Street before allegedly fleeing into Weston Park.

Stuart Thornton, a third year Information Management students, saw the getaway but not the incident. He said: “I witnessed the resulting getaway as I saw the driver and passenger climb out of the car and run into Weston Park, but I didn’t see the hit and run.”

Matt Steer, Landlord of the Fox and Duck pub, told The Tab  how his staff called the emergency services. They provided towels and assistance to a passing doctor who helped the man into the recovery position.

Police at the incident

He said: “It took 6 minutes for the ambulance to get here… I was with the police going through CCTV till about three in the morning, but I’m yet to hear anything.”

The victim is in a serious but stable condition in Northern General Hospital.

Anyone with information about the collision is asked to call South Yorkshire Police on 101, quoting incident number 29 of 6 October.