Review – The Hallamshire House

For those who are looking for a complete pubbing experience… and a fancy smoking area

hallamshire house pubs review

Price: £££

Atmosphere: 5 stars

Number of ‘Skool Disco’ evenings: 0

Are you tired of going for a drink and having to choose between Carlsberg, Fosters, Carling or a vodka mixer? Are you bored of being surrounded by people wearing white t-shirts that are inexplicably decorated by monochrome pictures of topless women smoking into the camera? Have you recently found yourself considering growing a beard?

If so, then the Hallamshire House in the heart of Crookesmoor is waiting for you. Re-opened in recent years by Thornbridge, a Craft Brewery based in Bakewell, the Hallamshire is the perfect counterpoint to some of Sheffield’s more soulless venues.

Oozing character from every wall, this pub prides itself on a relaxed environment, a mixed crowd of students and locals, and a wide variety of excellent draft ales. Highlights include a full-size snooker table and what is undoubtedly one of the best smoking areas in Sheffield located underneath the pub – a converted cellar with ample seating and plenty of shelter from the rain.

If you’re not a fan of ale then don’t worry, the benefit of somewhere like the Hallamshire as opposed to other local real ale pubs is that the staff aren’t judgmental about your order. If you go in and tell the bar staff that you’re usually a lager drinker but want to try something new, they’ll happily direct you to a couple of pale ales or bitters that might convert you.

Even if that doesn’t work, they have a great selection of lagers and ciders on draft (at the moment, Beck’s Vier, Pilsner Urquell and Thatchers) as well as a wide variety of spirits, including a lot of gin.

While the Hallamshire is a great venue for fans of craft beer or real ale, the friendly staff are more than happy to serve any drink you fancy, and the real pull here is the relaxed atmosphere that means it’s a always a great place to come and have a drink with friends. Just don’t order a Jägerbomb, for god’s sake.

Tomorrow’s review… Corporation!