Everything you need to know about mental health support at RHUL

We got you!

Hide Images

Its Mental Health Awareness week at Royal Hollloway this week so we're bringing you a guide on everything that the uni offers for student mental health.

Mental health affects 1 in 4 people throughout the UK, and is noticeably one of biggest elements of university life that is often overlooked. Whether you suffer with depression, anxiety, insecurity, dyslexia or any other form of difficulty, Mental Health Awareness Week is available for each and every student in need of a friendly helping hand.

Our guide offers some important on-campus support information, and some easy ways for you and your friends to help each other through your time at Uni.

Browse the student intranet

The Student Intranet is the place to visit if you are looking for what is available to you on campus in support of mental health. Handy tabs can help you in finding jobs etc, but for mental health, the ‘Help and Support’ tab is the place to go. The help and support tab offers information on student well-being, cause for concern, personal or emotional support, and support for disabilities.

Under these subheadings are important contact details such as the NHS Talking Therapies services, Student Counselling, and the varieties of reasons counselling may be helpful to the students, information on the available nursing and clinical services at the Campus Health Care clinic, and a list of possible self-help opportunities such as Mindfulness, and a London based Nightline.

Your department office

Continuing your search on the Student Intranet, under Help and Support, the column on Disabilities and Dyslexia offers sub-headings for ‘support for my condition’ & ‘Mental Health’. Here you can find information on how you can seek extra support from your degree department AND have access to a complete Mental Health Support Pack PDF. Whether it’s offering extra personal tutor hours, Library loan flexibility and general help, or finding an initial Mental Health Adviser, your department office is a great source of advice and support for smaller packs of information.

SU EVENTS

If you are eager to learn more about mental health, and how you can be useful to others in need of support, head down to the Windsor Auditorium on Thursday 10th October for a talk on The Changing World of Mental Health’ – our very own VP of Welfare and Diversity, Lucy Simpson, shall be talking about how mental health has been perceived throughout the ages and will explore beliefs around illness in a relaxed seminar environment.

Things you can do on a daily basis

Whether you are looking for small things to do to help yourself or to help a friend, here are some small things to consider doing that can be done on a regular basis.

Take yourself or you and some friends on a walk around Virginia waters: This is a relaxing way of using time to get some fresh air and clear some thoughts. The beautiful scenery offers a calming and natural environment where letting off steam can be done over flowers, trees, a chit-chat, and a good cup of tea.

Offer a hug or two: Hugging has been scientifically proven to reduce levels of anxiety by 70% when being hugged genuinely. When you see your friends and say hello, continue the greeting with a warm hug and it is sure to add some extra smiles to their day. Make this a habit and a smile will be made regularly.

Encourage inclusivity and be social: it is easy to lock yourself away when things get tough, and it is easy to forget to check up on friends during these times too. Being social gives you and opportunity to relieve yourself from internal pressure, and enjoy the company of those who care about you – it is good (and necessary) to take a breather from your degree.

Spread the message!

Finally, if you know of any useful information, contact details, inspirational quotes, or discussion forums, that you believe could help someone in need, do not be afraid to share the message! Whether it be on social media, via email, or printed around campus – you will not only make student more aware of mental health and the support variety surrounding it, but could even help a student overcome some worries.