Image may contain: Housing, Office Building, Crowd, High Rise, Architecture, Downtown, City, Town, Urban, Building, Pedestrian, Human, Person

Royal Holloway buildings have reopened following mass evacuation

Police confirmed the package was not suspicious

UPDATE: Police have confirmed the package is not suspicious. All buildings have been reopened.

At around 12:50 today George Elliot reception and meeting rooms were evacuated and cordoned off from the public. Windsor, Founders and the library have also been evacuated.

A student, who was in a seminar at the time, told The Royal Holloway Tab that a member of the security team came into the class room and told students "not to panic" but they needed to evacuate the building.

The site remains cordoned off and the security team are still there. Students have been told to go to the sports hall. Some are on their way to Imagine.

Image may contain: People, Architecture, Crowd, Suit, Coat, Overcoat, Metropolis, Footwear, Shoe, Clothing, Apparel, Urban, City, Building, Town, Downtown, Pedestrian, Human, Person

At 1pm this afternoon Windsor building and the library were evacuated, and Founders shortly after. When asked why they had to evacuate, library staff told students they were 'unsure" as to why they were evacuating.

Image may contain: People, Downtown, Architecture, City, Town, Urban, Building, Pedestrian, Human, Person

Security were searching campus for more packages. Police were seen at both the library and George Elliot halls.

Image may contain: Pedestrian, Transportation, Car, Vehicle, Automobile, Zebra Crossing, Human, Person, Road, Asphalt, Tarmac

Surrey Police said: "We received a report of a suspicious-looking package being received at Royal Holloway University in Egham around 11.40am today (13 March).

"Part of the university was evacuated and a cordon was put in place as a safety precaution. The bomb disposal team was also called.

"The package has been examined and the contents are not suspicious.

"The university has since been reopened and the cordon has been lifted.

"We would like to thank everyone involved for their patience whilst we dealt with this incident."

A spokesperson at Royal Holloway, University of London, said: “We can confirm that a number of university buildings were evacuated for a short time today as a precaution whilst a suspect package was investigated.

“The police have identified that the package is not suspicious. Staff and students are now able to access all buildings.”

For breaking news stories reported live from campus, follow The Royal Holloway Tab Instagram.