Image may contain: Bench, Housing, House, Cottage, Building

Breaking News: Packhorse Food Health Rating Reassessed

A five star rating has been given

The Tab is happy to annouce that, following the Packhorse's disappointing two star Food Hygiene rating given in September this year, in an unannounced reassessment today it has been updated to a five star rating, the highest that may be given. This took it from being considered to having "Improvement Necessary" to "Very Good".

The inital score was given in an assessment on the 25th of September, right after freshers week, the busiest period for the pub since it's opening week in May.

A representative for the SU released this statement:

"We are proud to announce that The Packhorse has today had its Level Five Food Hygiene Rating reinstated.

As stated in our statement on 27 October, the Students’ Union is committed to the highest standards in our venues and we are delighted that the efforts of the team to immediately rectify the issues highlighted in our last inspection have had the desired results.

Students’ Union President, Tasha Barrett commented on the result of the inspection and said: “Following the previous inspection of The Packhorse the management team moved to put in place a range of new internal checks to ensure the venue was meeting the high standards we expect as an organisation.

“I’m very happy with the results of today’s inspection which reflects our commitment to delivering a high quality range of food outlets on campus.”

Many were concerned when the student favourite, which took over from the Monkey's Forehead, received such a low rating in the initial inspection. At the time the Packhorse established an open door policy and invited anyone who wished to come and have a look at the kitchens in order that any misgivings about the pub be put to rest.

Updates to follow