Image may contain: Coat, Potted Plant, Plant, Human, Person, People

We spoke to the ‘Library Thugs’ girl

‘I go to uni and I don’t know why’

So about a week ago, Rebecca Moe (also known as 'RebMoe'), an alumnus of Royal Holloway, released a parody music video called “Library Thugs”. It was filmed at RoHo (which was, by the way, recently named “The UK’s Most Beautiful University”) and already has over 20 thousand hits on Facebook.

If you haven’t seen the video, check it out here…

Library Thugs by RebMoe [Music Video]

Tag a library thug who won't pass this semester

Posted by RebMoe on Thursday, October 26, 2017

So, I'm sure you're all wondering—what is a 'Library Thug'? The Tab spoke to Rebecca to find out…

Image may contain: Selfie, Portrait, Woman, Girl, Female, Human, Person, People

Tell us about Library Thugs. What's the idea?

Well, like most students, at times I got frustrated with university. You study so hard and pay so much to learn things you'll probably never need to know anyway… WHO IS THE SYSTEM SERVING?! However, thanks to my AMAZING friends I had the time of my life at RH. So this is kind of a tribute to that.

Image may contain: Bench, Suit, Overcoat, Clothing, Person, People, Human

Was it fun to shoot? What's the response been like?

Yeah, so fun! The dance scene was hilarious to shoot. The boys really do have some sick moves! And I’ve had wonderful feedback. Most people get the humour, though one friend did tell me he couldn't understand why I did it, and that I was losing some of my dignity, but I disagree #thuglyfe

Now lets talk about you. What did/do you study?

Well, I graduated from RH with a bachelors in Management with International Business this summer, and now I'm doing a masters in Social Innovation at Judge Business School, University of Cambridge.

I assume music’s not something you'd like to take up as a career then?

I don't think so. But I do hope to continue making an impact through songs which fellow students can relate to. Also, Library Thugs wasn't the first time I'd done something like this—In 2014, I featured on Spotify’s US Viral 50 with a song called “Honky Donk”, which now has over 1.8 million plays. Both songs carry the same message: don't take life too seriously. I’ll continue to spread this message.

Preach.

Follow RebMoe @ https://www.facebook.com/therebmoe/