RHUL in talks about buying The Monkey’s Forehead

The cocktail buckets will be fondly missed

Over recent days there has been a lot of speculation surrounding the upcoming closure and new management of local pub, The Monkey’s Forehead. This evening RHUL released a statement on the student intranet page which is as follows:

“Some of you may have heard rumours about the future of The Monkey’s Forehead on the A30, in particular on social media over the past day. In order to ensure the food and drink offer in the venue, we can confirm, in light of the lease for the pub becoming available, that Royal Holloway is in discussions about purchasing the lease. Depending on the outcomes of the discussions, we will be able to share more information when it is available, which is likely to be in January 2017.”

The owner of The Monkey’s Forehead also owns some of the other pubs around the town, such as The Happy Man, although the manager of Monkeys has informed The Tab that these will be staying open.

On Monday nights Medicine and The Monkeys Forehead were offering more or less the same night out to students: free entry and cheap drinks. Since people chose Medicine and it’s £1.50 drink deals over Monkeys – possibly because it’s on campus and easier to access, Monkey Mondays were no more.

But on the upside, RHUL will now own another place where students can have fun, a new venue to make changes to student life. Rumours that it will be turned into a conference venue are yet to be confirmed.