Man arrested after reports of attempted sexual assault in Egham

Two women were attacked in Egham and Englefield Green

A man has been arrested after two reports of serious attempted sexual assault in Englefield Green and Egham in the early hours of this morning.

Two women have reported serious cases of attempted sexual assault. The first incident is believed to have occurred at around 3:30am in the St Jude’s Road area, where a woman was approached by three men before the alleged assault occurred.

Just after 6:30am another incident was reported, when a second woman was approached by men in the Rusham Road area.

The suspects of both incidents have been described as white men, aged in their early 20s and wearing dark hoodies.

The roads around each incident have been blocked off while investigations by the police are being carried out. This includes the roundabout by the Holly Tree pub and Bond Street, so diversions have been put into place.

President of the Feminist Society, Tegan Marlow, said: “This is a really shocking thing to have happened and my heart goes out to the women who were attacked. It’s important to stay safe when walking alone at night. We also need to be reminded that this can happen to anyone of any gender, race, sexuality or age, so stay safe everyone. Hopefully this was an isolated case, and I hope that those who were attacked get full justice for what they’ve had to endure.”

Obviously the incidents are extremely worrying, and we advise all students to take extra care when walking anywhere in the early hours. We’d like to remind you of the college Sshh Bus service which runs after SU nights and is a safe way to get home.

You can also get free personal safety alarms from Founders West (in the Victorian corridor by the Picture Gallery). The Student Counselling Service is also located in Founder’s West, and they can give confidential help and advice to students at any time.

If you have any information in regards to these these incidents then please contact the police immediately.