SU shop apologises for telling barefoot fundraiser he can’t come in without shoes on

#shoegate2015

Embarrassed SU staff had to apologise after a second year taking part in “No Shoes November” was asked to leave the SU shop because of his lack of footwear.

Joshua Clements is one of many fundraisers going barefoot to raise money for charity this month, but the SU apparently hadn’t got the memo. When Josh went to the shop he was told by an employee: “For future reference, you can’t come in here without shoes on”.

Another fundraiser, Daisy Horan, experienced similar treatment, writing on Facebook: “I got kicked out (for the same thing) last week.”

Josh was told off for entering the shop without any shoes on

Angry at the SU shop’s policy, Joshua emailed the SU for an explanation. In response an SU spokesperson apologised and said they were unaware of the campus-wide fundraiser.

The email said: “The ruling to stop people entering premises without footwear is due to health and safety regulations. However, during the rest of November we will make an exception and put up a sign stating that people may enter the premises barefoot at their own risk.

The (poorly-worded) sign now in the window

“We do not have any objections to supporting children in poverty.”

So, just to be clear: you may go to the SU shop shoe-less this November at your own risk, but come December put those Nikes back on, you filthy animal.