Giant horny spiders are invading houses in Egham

They want to lay eggs in your grotty flat

With freshers only a few days away, excitement in Egham for the new term is beginning to build.

So imagine the horror for many returning students when they opened their front doors to find their houses have been invaded by a species of gigantic, sex-crazed spiders.

Giant House Spiders, otherwise known as tegenaria duellica, have been spotted crawling around student digs in Egham.

The huge, hairy, brown arachnid is reported to grow to the size of a small mouse.

Approaching its prey…

The Giant House Spiders are drawn to our warm, cosy houses to lay their many, many eggs as temperatures drop.

If that’s not bad enough, spider expert Professor Claire Rind from Newcastle University says the time of year also makes these eight-legged freaks particularly horny.

The stuff of horror films

She said: “At this time of year the male spiders are looking for freshly moulted females to mate with. Males are pretty thorough in their search and will travel some distance to find a mate and enter our houses.”

Our homes are becoming match.com for horny spiders

So essentially, we’re under attack by humungous, beastly spiders because the males want to find their SpiderBae, and they’re being seriously keen about it.

But don’t worry yourselves too much, because according to our spider expert: “The spiders are not likely to be dangerous for us because their chelicerae (fangs) are too small to really pierce our skin.”

Choose your weapon of choice, Egham

So there you have it, you’ll probably spend this winter in fear, but at least you don’t have to worry about turning into Spider-man.