Everything this year’s freshers need to know about Royal Holloway

Term needs to start already, home is boring

Welcome to Roho. Here’s some things you should know about being a silly fresher at London’s top university for student satisfaction. For starters that title would be cool if we were actually in London. Still, it’s something to brag to your less satisfied student friends about.

And so it begins

Nightlife

Or lack of it. Egham isn’t exactly known for its booming club scene. A night at the SU isn’t the worst thing in the world though, once you discover the wonder of the VK that is.

Ever woken up one morning and thought: “You know what, while I’m loving uni life, I do miss the good old days of the primary school disco, only I wish I could experience it drunk and have the possibility of winning £200”? If you haven’t, the creator of Monopoly Monday’s certainly did. We’ll let you decide for yourself how good an idea it really is.

Signs don’t lie. It’s exactly like the ministry of sound.

Socialising with the flat

The work you’re given in freshers’ week should in no way take priority over hanging out with your new housemates. The excuse of “I can’t come out I’ve got too much work” will not wash. It’s freshers week.

As cosy as your new room might be, if you’d like the flat to remember your name and not just refer to you simply by your room number, try emerging once in a while. It’ll do wonders for flat morale.

The compulsory new flat selfie

That fresher bonk

It’s a small campus. People talk and shit spreads quickly around RoHo. On the plus side, the dimmer switches in Williamson, Tuke and Butler make for perfect drunken mood lighting.

There are worse places to do it

Free stuff

There’s plenty of free food to claim around freshers week and everyone loves free food. The meal you’re given on the first night however is in no way substantial enough to then go out boozing on. The results of the night vary but all make for interesting stories to tell to anyone who will listen.

You can never have too many free t-shirts

The castle

There is no limit to the amount of insta-worthy photos you can take of Founders. All your friends back home definitely don’t get sick or jealous of how pretty your uni is.

it just doesn’t have a bad angle