RHUL second year raises over £1,000 for lymphoma charity by shaving head

She’s raised over three times her initial target

A brave second year’s drastic new haircut has helped her raise over £1,000 for the Lymphoma Association after being inspired by her nan’s battle with cancer.

Drama student Abi Abrahams shaved her head on campus last Friday after raising £1,321 for the cancer charity.

She said: “I’m over the moon with the amount raised, my initial target was £300. I’ve been meaning to do it for a few years and the main reason I did is for my nan. She’s lived with me and my close family for over a decade and she was diagnosed with the cancer very near the time I left for Uni in first year.

“It nearly killed her and it was the hardest thing trying to cope with it being away from home. She’s still with us though and cancer free.”

Be brave, be bald

Lymphoma is the fifth most common cancer in the UK and many diagnosed are under the age of 30. The Lymphoma Association is the only charity solely dedicated to supporting people diagnosed with lymphatic cancer.

To help with Abi’s fundraising, fresher Dan Jones pledged to donate £1 for every selfie with his coursemate Abi that he was tagged in.

He said: “Abi is possibly one of the bravest people I know and I’m so privileged to call her one of my closest friends. Lymphoma is something that has caused a great deal of pain for both of our families, and for her to do something so selfless is incredible.

“It’s also a testament to the generosity of the students at Royal Holloway, to raise money for charity, especially given the often restricted financial situation in which some students find themselves in.”

Dan and Abi taking the first of many selfies

There’s always something nice about touching a shaved head

For more information about Abi’s fundraising efforts, and to donate, click here.